[RESOLVED] Overclocking for intel Quad E5450 in R5400

A

alexBB

I am planning to purchase a Dell R5400 with two quad E5400 processors (8 processors altogether). The CPU speed is 3.0 Ghz. There will be only one HDD 500 Gb, no RAID. Will I be able to overclock it and how much? What precautions should I take into account? Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Don't expect to overclock a Dell. Their bioses lack configuration options for overclocking.

A

alexBB

A sad news. What do you think of my configuration for a new machine I am about to buy. I posted it in another forum: CPUs and Motherboards. I've been waiting for you to take a look. I will have to make a decision by tomorrow morning.

Thanks.

A

alexBB

Midknyte, hate to challenge you but I googled for "Overclocking Dell" and came up with this link. Needless to say it is very old (2002) and the specs listed are no longer applicable anywhere. The idea is, I believe, that even if BIOS does not have means to do it, there are applications (shareware) that can accomplish the same, provided the clock falls within supported category. What do you think about
it?

How to: Overclock Dell, Gateway, Compaq and other branded computers

A

alexBB

Quote:

I have never seen someone overclock the CPU on a Dell. They lock certain parts of the BIOS to prevent the average user from f-ing up their computer. You can overclock your graphics, however. I do it on my Dimension 8400. Out of curiosity, what chipset is your mobo? you may be able to do better than the D945. If you don't know, download CPU-z off of cpuid.com to find out.

I would recommend that you do a Google search before you give up hope about overclocking.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
You are talking about very old software that is no longer developed. Unless they kept updating all the different PLLs, it's not going to work. Even if they had kept it up, I highly doubt they would have had the proper information on a dell rackmounted workstation/server.

The Quad OC issue on Dells was about XPS systems. That is a very specialized case and you would be buying it preoverclocked from the factory.

My original statement remains true. You can't OC most Dells because they lack the proper setting options in the bios. At best, there are minor tweaks that can be done, but nowhere near the options you'd get in an Asus, Gigabyte, or other motherboard.

A

alexBB

Thanks Midknyte. The issue is closed. I could see it myself after I read the last link.

Associates