[RESOLVED] No sound front panel audio with newest CMI 9880L driver

H

hieg

So basically I plugged in a headphone the other day on the front panel of my pc and noticed the audio jacks randomly stopped working. They worked for about 3 years and the last changes I've made was updating the CMI 9880L driver to the newest one on the MSI website for my mainboard( 915P combo), about a month ago. So I thought the problem was the new driver, I went back to the CD that came with the board and installed the audio drivers I had before, thinking this would restore sound to these jacks it actually did not do anything. I went to the hardware manager and clicked on the ROLL BACK driver button and it installed a microsoft audio driver, this time the front audio jacks DID work, this means is not a hardware related problem. What is going on with the new C-MEDIA drivers for my board? what should I do to restore sound to the front jacks?

ps. I played around with the BIOS onboard sound options(switching between Azalia and AC97) and nothing happened.

H

hieg

Do you mean that there is one connector for AC97 and another one for Azalia???

H

hieg

Well, after reading the audio section of my motherboard's manual, I noticed that everything was working properly but I wasnt aware of how it actually worked. The onboard audio device has a feature called "multiple streaming", this means that you can set for example "Itunes" to play on the front panel audio jack while " Youtube" sounds through the back audio jacks. This is done by going to the control panel and double-clicking the "Sound and Audio devices" icon where you can select to output signal either trough the front or back of the computer, so basically after selecting "Front panel" you select apply and open up a program such as Itunes and the sound will output trough the front. The whole time I thought that the back and front will output the same signal at the same time(wrong).

Thanks for the help!

Associates