[RESOLVED] New problem, still no answer for the old one!

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
I got a PCIe Hauppage TV card and I try hooking it up to my cable TV and I can't get a damn thing! I have to admit I am just about hopelessly lost on all the technical terms in the TV card game and I have little experience with it. It just seems like I should get some kind of signal because I pretty much went through and used just about every different option I could set in the software of an I get nothing at all.

It is "Broadstripe" (formerly "Millennium Digital Media"), and perhaps has the popular vote for the poorest excuse for a cable company in the United States. They work hard at being pathetic and they succeed amazingly well! We have hardly any channels, it is extremely expensive, terribly unreliable, and unless you buy a huge bundle and sign a contract they raise the prices regularly. What more could one ask for in a cable company? The internet service is pretty good, so I imagine they might be working on ways to downgrade there, but we shall see...

We lost DirecTV due to the trees in the neighboring lots and Dish never had line of sight here. So Broadstripe is happy to be our only choice! Pay more, get much much less is their motto!

All griping aside, I can say we do use a DVR but in the other rooms, all you have to do is plug a cable into a TV and voilà, you get as many channels as the TV is capable of, so I find it quite baffling that I can't get anything at all. I used to run signal from the DirecTV box to it so I know it can work, and I told the install guy what I was doing so he connected the TV line to the old DirecTV line into this room. So far as I know it has everything it should need, and I am the idiot. I am sure it is some stupid small detail.

The card is an HVR-1250, so if anyone can help I'd be most appreciative...?

If anyone can get FiOS to come here, I'd give you my firstborn in an offering of gratitude!

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
DOH! The installer, basically a glorified coaxial cable "craftsman" and not much else, was too stupid to actually plug this room in like I asked him to! He plugged it in to the now defunct satellite dish! So shame on me for not checking sooner!

The CandyMan

The CandyMan

Chocolately LAN Goodness!
Lol nice fix. Had the same thing happen in my old house, the cable guy hooked a old satellite dish as well (old Dish one too that the previous owner left) instead of the connection to my basement and it took me about 2 days to figure it out. Sometimes it turns out to be one simple thing.

Your cable guy didn't look like this did he?

:D ;) :D

Associates