[RESOLVED] networking two computers connected to a router

Flash

Flash

Networking is virgin territory for me so.......

I have 3 computers (running XP) all connected to the net via a wired router.
The router is functioning fine.

I want to network 2 of them which are in seperate rooms mainy for printer sharing.
How can I do this?

U

ua549

Simply open the printer properties dialog and create a share.
On the other computers add a network printer using the name of the share used in step one.

I've never used Win XP but I believe the dialogs are accessed through Control Panel, Devices and Printers.

Flash

Flash

Yeah, I tried all that but, the other sys sys can not reconize the printer on the host.
I ran the network wizzard on both sys

The host is running XP home and the other sys is runnig XP corporate. Perhaps this is a problem?
I'm also using a cheap D-link router that some others reported to have problems with. It works fine to share my (RR broadband) net connection (even with my Blu-ray player) but, there seems to be a problem with networking.
I did try disabling any sort of firewalls on everthing to see what would happen but it still wont work.

I m an old stick and rudder computer user since the C-64 but, I'm about to give up on this. The printer sharing is not that important for me anyway.... I just thought it would be nice to have if needed.

Flash

Flash

It's an older Canon ip4500 that prints beautifully for my purposes and connected via USB

The two computers in question are just around the corner (in seperate rooms) from each other and I just may wind up installing an A/B printer switch and temporarily run a USB cable to the other computer for the rare ocasions I would need to access that printer from the other sys. This at least would work for shure.

BTW what is longest length recomended for a USB cable acording to current standards?

Last edited:
jimbo1763

jimbo1763

Dumb stuff to double-check.

1. Are all computers within the same Workgroup?

2. Is the printer shared? Right click on it in the Printers folder, or look at it there-it should have the little "hand" underneath it.

Flash

Flash

Dumb stuff to double-check.

1. Are all computers within the same Workgroup?

2. Is the printer shared? Right click on it in the Printers folder, or look at it there-it should have the little "hand" underneath it.
Yes, all that (and more) has been checked and re-checked.
I have come to the conclusion that it is either the router or the printer creating my problem.

I have just ordered the A/B switch and needed cables.
This actually may be my best option since I wont need the host sys on to print from the client.
Also, given the physical arangement of the sytems, it wiil be easy to route the USB cable through the wall via the same hole as my TV cable, other net cables and possibly leave it connected.

Last edited:
Shinma

Shinma

Flash said:
... BTW what is longest length recomended for a USB cable acording to current standards?
Stated at USB-IF:

Q1: How long of a cable can I use to connect my device?
A1: In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches).

Q2: Why can't I use a cable longer than 3 or 5m?
A2: USB's electrical design doesn't allow it. When USB was designed, a decision was made to handle the propagation of electromagnetic fields on USB data lines in a way that limited the maximum length of a USB cable to something in the range of 4m. This method has a number of advantages and, since USB is intended for a desktop environment, the range limitations were deemed acceptable...

Flash

Flash

I guess it would depend on the device connected.
After searching the net for further info, it seems there are many who are using 25 foot (non active) USB cables for printers without a problem but, some others have problems using this length.

I need 25 feet myself and that's what I ordered. It's fully shielded.
It will be interesting to see if it will work.

Flash

Flash

Update........
As it turned out, the 25 ft USB cable would not work without a USB hub or "repeater"

So, what I did was get two USB "repeater" adaptors (about $7/eBay) that plug into both ends of an ethernet cable that is supposed to allow you to use longer USB cables by creating one utilizing a standard ethernet cable.

I tested it using the 30 ft ethernet cable aleady routed for a net connection and.... it works perfectly! :)

Last edited:
U

ua549

An Ethernet cable is good to 100 meters while a USB cable is good to 5 meters according to specs.

Flash

Flash

An Ethernet cable is good to 100 meters while a
USB cable is good to 5 meters according to specs.
The USB repeater adapters I got claim you can connect them to lengh of ethernet cable up to 125ft and it should still work for most apps.

I don't know about that length, however, like I said, I tried it with a 30ft ethernet cable (creating a 30 ft USB cable) and it works perfecly for eveything I tried with it so far. :)

U

ua549

USB with a repeater does extend the distance. The limit is per cable due to signal strength.

Associates