[RESOLVED] Network password

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Howdy again folks. I just installed my first wireless router, a Linksys WRT160N, and was wondering how to put a password in so that my neighbors can't slip into my connection. Does anyone know how?

Thanx much!

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

I'd change the default SSID and disable SSID broadcasting (not much, but it hides your wireless network unless somebody knows your SSID or actively sniff for it), and set WPA/WPA2 encryption with a good secure shared key. Also, if you haven't already, changing your router password from the default one is always a good idea ;)

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
I changed the SSID and used a passphrase and then clicked GENERATE like the instructions said. A long (26 character) key showed up in a box marked key1. When i plug the usb wireless card into my computer it automatically connects and i can use the connection, but it doesnt ask for a password. AND, it always says "validating Identity" in the network status window. I guess i just don;t know enough about it to make it work right.

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Are you sure you chose WPA? That sounds like WEP, not WPA/WPA2.

Check out the security guides here:
http://www.ezlan.net/#Wireless

It is WEP. That is what all the info I could find said to do. All I need is to make sure a password is needed to connect to my network. This should be a lot easier than they make it. The linksys site and their manual are useless. I've built hundreds of computers but I am no network guru. One would think they could have software in the router with a PASSWORD TO CONNECT tab.

I read thru the link you posted and I thank you for that. But it's way over my head. I don;t understand what they are telling me.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
You are making it harder on yourself by using WEP. Unless you have really old wifi hardware, USE WPA OR WPA2. Just set a WPA passphrase on the router, connect to the router with your wifi computer, and enter the WPA passphrase when prompted. I don't know how to tell you any clearer than that.

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
I'll try it. It is a brand new WRT160N Linksys. I'll try the WPA. I did put in a WEP passphrase and it generated a 26 digit code for something. Do I have to disconnect my ethernet cable first?

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Now thats what I'm talking about. I was looking for the wrong stuff. There is nowhere in my settings to stop the broadcasting of the SSID. Thats what was confusing me. I switched to WPA, created the password and all is good. Thank you both for the education!! Much appreciated.

Associates