[RESOLVED] Need New Intel MOBO

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Let us know how it turns out. :)

Will do. Gonna order everything up next week. Thank you guys so much for the help. I just can't keep up with all the changes these days. Tho, my age doesn't help!!!

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
One more question if anyone is still reading this. Is there any advantage in going with the 1600 ram as opposed to the 1333?

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Okay, but do I have to set it that way manually? Won't the board set it up to match the cpu's bus speed?

Shinma

Shinma

You could set it up manually but I suspect that the mobo would automatically detect DDR3 1600.

Shinma

Shinma

The*Q*,
You may want to download the Service Pack for your operating and all the drivers for your mobo.

Toolbox initially had some issues due to the Z68 chipset being released after the Service Pack.
Worked out after installing the Service Pack and the various hotfixes.

Additional note,
Since you will be installing a 64-bit OS, you may want to install the hard drive in AHCI mode, not IDE.

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
The*Q*,
You may want to download the Service Pack for your operating and all the drivers for your mobo.

Toolbox initially had some issues due to the Z68 chipset being released after the Service Pack.
Worked out after installing the Service Pack and the various hotfixes.

Additional note,
Since you will be installing a 64-bit OS, you may want to install the hard drive in AHCI mode, not IDE.
Thanx for the headsup! My win 7 Ultimate has SP1 slipstreamed as well as all the updates up to 3/09/11. I will download the latest drivers from Asus, tho.

I'm not familiar with installing a drive in AHCI mode tho. I know it's a bios setting, but is there a specific method, or just install as usual?

Oh!! And, I have two storage partitions (plus the primary) on this drive from a 32 bit XP OS. If I install the drive as you say am I going to render those partitions unreadable? I absolutely NEED the data on those parts.

Last edited:
The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Don't need the SATA drivers to install before the OS then?

Also, how about my other partitions and my other hard drive. I don't want to lose the data. Will installing the drive in AHCI mode make those partitions and the other drive unreadable?

Shinma

Shinma

Windows 7 should support AHCI out of the box.
However, if you intend to multiboot with another OS, such as WinXP or older Linux,
Configure via CMOS/BIOS as IDE mode.

AHCI should not have impact on the HDDs with only data on them.

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Okay, if I understand completely, I just make sure the bios is set to see the drive as AHCI and win 7 will install the OSD accordingly. And, the data on the other two partitions will still be available, as well as the data on the second drive. The second drive should be installed as AHCI also? Or, being a data storage drive I should need not do anything but plug it in?

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Looks pretty much like it isn't worth the risk of losing my current data. I may try it tho cuz, if nothing else, I can always revert and reinstall the OS using IDE and all should be well. Thanx again!

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Followup

Just want to post back as a followup and let everyone know how this build worked out. Happy to say that all went well, it's running perfectly smooth on Win 7 Ult 64 bit, and that monster coolermaster heatsink is awesome. Had to do some surgery on the case to get it in there, but with an ambient temp of around 85*F the CPU shows up at 32*C in the bios! Plus, I have the PSU fans and two other 120mm fans in the case and the thing is nearly silent.

Thank you for the assistance and guidance in this project! I still don't understand all the stuff in this bios, but being able to use a mouse to tweak is a plus, and just pressing a button that says performance seems to work very well.

The system performance in windows looks impressive to me, but I have never used this before. I'm showing a few 7.3 scores, a couple of 7.8 scores and the hard drive is a 5.9 which is to expected. If I can teach this thing to cook for me now I'll be a happy old man!

Associates