[RESOLVED] Need New Intel MOBO

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
I'm finally in the position to upgrade my tired old system and have pretty much decided on the Intel LGA 1156. Probably going to go with an Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz W/8MB L3 Cache. I'm needing a solid, STABLE mobo to house this piece and am not really up to speed on the new stuff. I want about 5 or 6 SATA ports, 6 USB ports and clean audio with all the analog line in, speaker out, line out, etc. Do not want onboard vid. And, of course, do not want to mortgage my house. Is there something that is solid and stable out there for under 200 bux? YES, I want an Intel board. I figure who better to build a board for Intel Processors than Intel?

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Are the SATA 6Gb/s backwards compatible? I have two Hard drives and two opticals to be connected.

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Oh, this board you posted is an LGA1155. Is that pin count? Is that not compatible with the processor I mentioned?

Shinma

Shinma

The*Q* said:
Are the SATA 6Gb/s backwards compatible? ...
Yes.

The*Q* said:
...Is that not compatible with the processor I mentioned?
No.
It's Intel, backward compatibility thoughtfulness is AMD's forte.

If you already purchased the older Intel Core i5-760,
You are looking at the older mobos with the Intel P55 chipset.

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
I haven't purchased anything yet. I don't do things that way. I plan everything out first and THEN get what I need. But, as I said, I am not up to speed because a couple mof years ago I had a few machines "folding" in the basement when one caught fire. Well, my insurance company deemed that I was running a computer business out of my house so they didn't pay. Only now am I in the position to begin updating my old 3800+.

So, I guess I'll go back to NewEgg and shop for the processor. I'll have to see what I can get for about $200 bux cuz I'll also need ram. Trying to build the best combo I can for 600 or less.

Thanx for the info. I'm sure I'll be back soon with more ?s

Edit: Is a quad core going to be THAT much faster than a dual core? I use Audacity and photoshop a lot.

Last edited:
Shinma

Shinma

Quad core processors are now the norm...

The*Q* said:
...I have two Hard drives and two opticals to be connected... Trying to build the best combo I can for 600 or less.
State what components are required, for stated budget.

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
I only need the mobo, processor and ram. The board you posted looks really good. I am still kinda confused on the processors. It seems there are numerous cpus with only a letter designation difference. Here is a search I've done on Newegg. I assume I should look for the fastes clock speed with the lowest current draw? You'll see an i5-2500 and also an 15-2500K. I don't see a difference.

Ratt

Ratt

Do not want onboard vid. And, of course, do not want to mortgage my house. Is there something that is solid and stable out there for under 200 bux? YES, I want an Intel board. I figure who better to build a board for Intel Processors than Intel?
The onboard video card is on the processor on the latest Intel cpu, not the motherboard.
Intel makes a good motherboard, but it is still using electrolytic capacitors. Others like Asus are using full solid capacitors for reliability.
Looking at the PCIe slot on the DZ68DB, it is very close to the ram slots. You will have to remove the video card, if you need to change or reseat the rams.

I suggest the ASUS P8Z68-V LE instead. Better overall layout, full solid caps and only $8 bucks more than the Intel DZ68DB.

You'll see an i5-2500 and also an 15-2500K. I don't see a difference.
The difference is the 2500K is multiplier unlocked. Good for overclocking.

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
I will look that board over. You think it's gonna be more stable than the Intel?

Also, of the processors in the link I posted above, which do you think would be the best bang for the buck? I see many have the same clock rating but all different prices.

Edit: Also, are you saying that the DVI output on the board will automatically be enabled because the video chip is on the 1155 processors? All of them?

Last edited:
Ratt

Ratt

Well, from my experience Asus boards lasts a long time without many problems with good standard compliance. My Asus K7V and A7V are still working and they are over 10 years old. My Intel D865GBF now have bulging caps and the underside of the motherboard is discolored from overheating mosfets. Replaced it with an Asus P4P800 Deluxe and still using it now without problems.

Personally, I would go for the 2500K multiplier unlocked processor and install a good aftermarket cpu cooler.

I'm not sure if all the the Socket 1555 cpus have onboard graphics. Been an AMD user for quite a while. ;)

You are able to automatically switch over from the onboard graphic card to an external video card and vise versa just like the old days with onboard graphics on the motherboard chipset.

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Well, I have a good PCIe vid card but if I can get great image quality without it thats great. WOW, I've been away from this too long.

I don't really need an unlocked multiplier as my OCing days are long gone. I need stability because I use my PC for a recording studio and video editor. I'm currently runing an ATI HD 4800 series card. Would the onboard graphics from Intel be any better, or worse?

Also, what seems to be the most stable ram these days. I used to be a hard core Crucial fan. I've also used OCZ, and Corsair with great results.

Last edited:
The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
G.SKILL is popular.

OCZ not.

Okay, gonna keep that in mind. I wanna buy all this stuff once and not have to worry about it. May be the last computer I build for myself so I want it to last.

EDIT: Oh, great. PC1333 comes in two flavors too? 10600 or 10666?

Last edited:
Shinma

Shinma

Double check prices between DDR3 1600 and DDR3 1333.
Difference likely very minimal, if any.
Most purchase/use DDR3 1600.

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Looks like about 20 bux difference for a 4x2 8 gig set. For that money I'll get the 1600.

Shinma

Shinma

The*Q* said:
... a 4x2 8 gig set...
I presume that you meant 2x4GB dual channel set for a 64-bit OS...
Good idea to minimize number of memory modules(s) for a mobo and avoid compatibility issue(s).

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Yes, 2 sticks of 4GB. I never run 4 sticks. Learned that years ago.

So, out of the list of processors I posted earlier, which would you prefer in the 200 to 220 range? And what is your opinion on the Asus board?

Last edited:
Shinma

Shinma

Ratt said:
... ASUS P8Z68-V LE ...
The*Q* said:
... So, out of the list of processors I posted earlier, which would you prefer in the 200 to 220 range? And what is your opinion on the Asus board? ...
Intel Core i5-2400S was immediately excluded due to 3.3GHz Turbo Boost versus 3.7GHz Turbo Boost of the two processors listed below.
I suspect due to apps that you mentioned, the Turbo Boost will definitely be a consideration.

Between the Intel Core i5-2500 and the Intel Core i5-2500K,
Bang for the buck, due to only $10.00 difference, I would pick the Intel Core i5-2500K.
Back several weeks ago,
Even when the difference between the two was greater ($40.00), 2500K, in terms of performance/dollar was considered better value.

If you never bothered to transcode in the past, converting avi files to DVD or such, due to snail speeds, give it a whirl with the K.

Nitpicking the ASUS above:
Preference for more passive cooling, north of the processor socket on the MOSFETs.
*After verifying working order of the mobo, you could stick on some heatsinks on your own though.
Only 3 feedbacks of that model.

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Intel Core i5-2400S was immediately excluded due to 3.3GHz Turbo Boost versus 3.7GHz Turbo Boost of the two processors listed below.
I suspect due to apps that you mentioned, the Turbo Boost will definitely be a consideration.

Between the Intel Core i5-2500 and the Intel Core i5-2500K,
Bang for the buck, due to only $10.00 difference, I would pick the Intel Core i5-2500K.
Back several weeks ago,
Even when the difference between the two was greater ($40.00), 2500K, in terms of performance/dollar was considered better value.

If you never bothered to transcode in the past, converting avi files to DVD or such, due to snail speeds, give it a whirl with the K.

Nitpicking the ASUS above:
Preference for more passive cooling, north of the processor socket on the MOSFETs.
*After verifying working order of the mobo, you could stick on some heatsinks on your own though.
Only 3 feedbacks of that model.

So the 2500K runs faster than the 2500 even tho the clock is the same and you don't OC it?

Yes, I recode many vid files and use photoshop to make WMV out of slideshows. I also record audio in Audacity and export as WAV and MP3. Sometimes I'll have as many as 8 or 9 audio tracks to mix and export as one stereo WAV file.

Yup, I noticed the questionable cooling on that board. Thats why I asked.

Associates