[RESOLVED] Memory not recognized

S

Scott101

I just finished upgrading my system from XP to Win7 64, mainly to get the benefit of the extra memory available to the system. My mobo holds a max of 16GB. I originally had 4GB of 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Memory (9-9-9-24)(CL 9)(1.5V).

I ordered a 4-pack of 4GB sticks DDR3 1600, CL 8, 8-8-8-24, 1.5V that were selected and supposedly compatible for my mobo. I remover the 2-2GB sticks and installer the four new sticks. Turned the system on and no beep, no nothing. The system would not recognize the memory.

I removed all the new sticks and reinstalled the original two sticks and it started right up. I removed the two sticks and installed a single stick and tried to start the system. Nothing. I tried each stick individually and nothing. I tried two sticks and nothing. I requested an RMA from the seller, but was wondering if there is something that I have not tried to get the system to recognize the memory?

glussier

glussier

You might have tried resetting the bios. Sometimes, you need to do so, so the new ram timings are detected.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Pretty sure he meant reset to defaults.

Filling all four slots on a motherboard always introduces more issues than only two irrespective of the total amount of ram. Sometimes increasing the ram voltage slightly when all four slots are used will solve issues. Backing off timings is another solution. Neither of these explains why your board would not boot with only one or two sticks of the new ram. Let us know if resetting the bios works.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Just resetting (Clear CMOS) should do fine at first.

If you decide to RMA the memory, check the Memory QVL on Asus's site if you have not already to ensure you get compatible memory. If it helps, I used the exact same motherboard in an Athlon II X2 build for my aunt and it worked great with a 4GB of this memory (yes I know, not in the QVL but close ;)).

S

Scott101

Reset the CMOS, reinstalled memory. Still no POST, black screen, no beep. Tried again with a single stick, still nothing. Funny thing, I used the online memory check on Crucial, I I came up with a different memory recommendation that when I entered the Mobo number.

The manufacturer is on the QVL, but the memory model number is not. The QVL must be several years old because the kit/model numbers I looked up were no longer listed by the manufacturers.

S

Scott101

RMA'd the memory. Spoke to CS rep and they indicated that the memory they originally suggested was too dense. They are sending replacement that should work.

S

Scott101

Crucial...I have purchased from them in the past and always had good service and never any problems

S

Scott101

Memory Replacement not Working

OK, I am returning the third set of memory. The installation of all three sets have resulted in the same performance, or lack thereof. I tried all combinations of placement, one stick, two sticks, then three and four. When I restart, the system powers on, then at the point I should get the beep, nothing. I let it run for 2-3 minutes and still nothing. I reset the CMOS. I looked at the ASUS website and see that there are 18 BIOS updates I can download. Since I have never flashed a BIOS before, do I download the most recent version and that will contain the previous 17 versions? One earlier version actually solves a problem with hanging during a post with some brands of DDR3 memory. Which update should I download?

Last edited:
DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Bios updates are cumulative. You only need to install the latest one. I've flashed a lot of bios but only by floppy (old school), but I recently used a program called Rufus to make a usb flash drive bootable, in my case with a live linux distro. The info I've read in the past always advised avoiding flashing a bios through Windows. Personally I would use a flash drive and not flash through Windows.

S

Scott101

BIOS FLash

Asus has a a BIOS option called EZ Flash 2. I have not used it, but it would avoid Windows. I'm checking on how to use the feature.

Shinma

Shinma

A number of the mobos now have option to flash with a USB flash drive, from a cold boot.
No Windows interaction required = Safer.
e.g. BIOSTAR, GIGABYTE, MSI...

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

A number of the mobos now have option to flash with a USB flash drive, from a cold boot.
No Windows interaction required = Safer.
e.g. BIOSTAR, GIGABYTE, MSI...
And that's exactly what EZ Flash is ;) It's simpler than a DOS command-line flash and safer than in Windows. You just need to download a BIOS file and put it on an USB stick, then go in the EZ Flash section of the BIOS and browse to your file. Usually you can update straight to the latest BIOS version, unless the release note somehow makes mention of needing a previous version (haven't seen this in a while though)

S

Scott101

That was easy!

Just finished flashing the BIOS. Had a few tweeks to make to start on the correct OS (dual boot) but all appears successful. Now I have to try the new memory.

Question, in reading the manual, under Chipset/NorthBridge Configuration/Memory Configuration, there are several settings that are currently set to disabled. These include "enable Clock to All DIMMs" and "MemClk Tristate C3/ATLVID". Under ECC Configuration, the ECC Mode is disabled. Would these settings affect the DIMMs not functioning? Should they maybe be set to auto?

The reason I decided the falsh the BIOS was because after four sets of DIMMs, the only ones I can get to work are the original 4 G set I installed when I built the system.

Going to retry the last set of DIMM's now.

S

Scott101

Mew Memory works

The BIOS update corrected the memory problem. I isolated one bad stick out of the 4 in the kit. Even without the bad stick the memory capacity has been tripled.