[RESOLVED] Memory additions

M

Mark-FON

I have a Dell Dimension 9150 and want to install more memory. I have x2 1 Gb memory already and want to add two more 1 Gbs in the two remaining slots.

The BIOs shows I have:

1Gb at 533 MHz (in two slots)

I ran a Crucial.com scan and its says I can install DDR2 PC2-5300 but these seem to run at 667 MHz

I am concerned I will have an issue if I get and install these, am I right?

(I pulled out a memory card already to have a look also and it says its a PC2-5200) – so thats why I am further unsure of getting PC2-5300 memory card additions.

Thanks for any advice.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

Generally, if you mix RAM with different speeds, it will clock down to the lower speed.

Not sure what OS you have. Remember that if you are running a 32 bit operating system like XP, it may not recognize all 4 GB's.

Shinma

Shinma

If ordering from Crucial, the CT482733 should be fine.
If you encounter issues, they do have a decent RMA policies.

M

Mark-FON

Thanks - well the machine I bought nearly 5 years ago Window XP (Vista ready).

Avoided that, were having some video card issues which I had replace last year with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 card and ALSO installed Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (had to buy a sound card as well as Windows 7 would not recognise the old onboard sound).

There is a parity issue - which a lot of people running Dell machines have, where the pc can crash - though the Display drivers can sometimes recover, this happens less frequently now.

I am running a 32 bit machine and this machine should be capable of handling 4GBs of RAM.

However, if there is anything you can add, I will wait for any more replies before making a purchase and thanks for all your advice

M

Mark-FON

Thanks - the links are helpful and I am aware of the limitations of RAM on 32 bit machiens - my next pc down the line I will be looking at those that can hold more.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
One thing to be careful of when mixing ram, which I don't think will be an issue for you, is to make sure all the ram uses the same voltage. This will be more of an issue for higher performance or gamer machines that are more likely to have faster ram running at voltages above the default voltage for type (eg. DDR, DDR2).

M

Mark-FON

Had already ordered it from before DanceMan's post above so it was on its way. I will note that for my next pc.

Installed now and though it has installed 4GBs - what I am getting and it says is 3.25 GBs.

Seems to be helping a little, I will have to see how it goes but should help.

Thanks all for your help :)

Shinma

Shinma

Sounds right.
A number of WinXP systems will display 3.25 GB when 4 GB is actually installed.

Associates