[RESOLVED] Keyboard Layout Issue with Thinkpad

W

wetling

See my Sig
I received the following e-mail from someone I know. I know I've solved this before, but I can't remember. Does anyone know?

When I take my laptop out of the dock it reverts to the funky alternate keypad numbers working on the letters – for example, M becomes zero, etc.
Thanks

MuFu

MuFu

Try Shift + ScrLk.

Not sure about stopping it happening in the first place though, sorry - must be in the IBM software somewhere I'd imagine.

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

Sounds like you have "numlock" on. And no, that's not an insult. It's a setting that allows you to run the number keypad on a laptop keyboard using designated letter keys.

W

wetling

See my Sig
Yeah, but why would the numlock only be engage only when the machine is disconnected from the dock?

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

Good question. Maybe when the machine gets pulled out of the dock, the button gets hit by mistake? Does IBM say anything about the issue?

M

Maddie

Help! Thinkpad keyboard issues!

This thinkpad was given to me by a friend and I am on the road with it for the first time, and I cannot get the regular alphabet back. It is using alternate keys - the calculator number set-up which alternates some of the letter keys. For instance, I type a "u" and get a 4. I don't know my commands well for this machine and tried the shift + scroll-lock mentioned below. It did not work. Also, I am able to turn num lock off and on but this does not affect the alternate settings.

Any ideas? I am on a deadline and need this machine. I am sending this to you from the hotel's business center and it is costing me a fortune!

Hoyle

Hoyle

Have you tried the "Fn" key combinations? I used to have a T42 a while back and the way to enable/disable the number-pad feature was something like Fn+Numberlock. I can't recall exactly, but it DEFINATELY had to do with the Fn key.

A

anibus

solution

I had the same problem and was driving me crazy.
shift and the numberlock/scroll lock:)

mnair99

mnair99

Thanks MuFu, Shift + ScrLk worked for me and i'm typing using the same keyboards, hardly minutes ago i had this problem..

Thanks again for the post & the reply..

cheers, Murali..