[RESOLVED] Hot GTX 280

B

biglilsteve

My GTX 280 idles pretty cool (around 45C)...but under full load it gets over 100C!!

I believe this is causing a slowdown in games. I'll be playing Crysis or Mirror's Edge and everything will be perfectly smooth. Then after I'm playing for about 20-30 minutes or so, the frame rates seem to drop and the game isn't as smooth as it was when I first started playing it.

Is this slowdown caused by very high temperatures?...or could it be something else?

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Possibly. Nvidia cards will throttle back when they get too hot.

Are you getting enough airflow to your video card? That case has the PSU fan sucking air down, which may be hindering the video card's fan.

B

biglilsteve

So uhh, yeah, figured out what the issue was. When I was installing the card, apparently I was so excited that I wasn't paying attention and a USB cord leading to one of the headers on the motherboard was completely stopping the GTX's fan from spinning.

Moved the cable, and the fan started spinning and the idling temperature immediately fell to 36C, with a load temp under Crysis of around 50C.

Needless to say, there is no more slowdown.

Embarrassed :(

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
At least the Nvidia card did what it was supposed to do; it saved itself from cooking. :)

Associates