[RESOLVED] Home/Office Router, Switch Configuration Help Needed™

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
Hi Guys,

Happy New Year! Haven't been here for a while and need some help with the a home network that I intend to setup up with many devices, both wired and wireless and need a cost effective solution. :)

Right now, I have two connections to the internet with different ISP's. One for the house and one for the office. Both are in the same building and are about 50 meters apart on the same floor. Lately, the home internet has gotten really bad and I am going to cut this service. Instead of acquiring another ISP for the house, I simply want to use the bandwidth from the office.

Now, I live in Manila and the ISP is PLDT. The modem they gave for their business line is a modem with a built-in wireless router. It has the usual 4-Ports in the back for Ethernet and I was wondering if I could run a CAT5 cable from it to my flat 50 meters away and connect it to an 16-Port Switch?

Connected to the switch will be the following:

• 3 Amplifiers
  • Mede8er
  • Desktop Computer
  • Synology DX1511+ NAS
  • PS3
  • Xbox
  • Wireless Router

I need the wireless router for the laptops, mobile phones and iPad's.

Is there an easy way of doing this because everything I have been reading up on for the last two weeks seems to be a little above my expertise in home networking.

What would you guys recommend?

Thank you in advance. :)

Shinma

Shinma

Toolbox said:
... CAT5 cable from it to my flat 50 meters away and connect it to an 16-Port Switch? ...
Maximum listed length for CAT5e cables is 100 metres,
So your 50 metres is well within limits.

With that said,
Considering the amount of devices/traffic on that switch,
Hope that you have good quality CAT5e cables and good Gigabit switch. :)

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
Hi Shinma. The great things is, I haven't bought the switch, cabling or any hardware yet. The only bit of hardware that currently exists is the PLDT modem/router that the ISP has provided and the simple Wi-Fi Router I have that I've been using with the current and bad service.

I have yet to wait for someone here to tell me what to buy and how to configure it. :)

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
Oops... I already have the other stuff. Computer, Amplifier, etc. But none of the networking products.

Shinma

Shinma

You've basically listed the correct network setup.

The only difference would be that the wireless router in your flat would not be a router or configured as a router
But as a
Wireless access point.

I'm not familiar with your bylaws, climate, soil type... and such in your region,
So unable to comment on requirements/recommendations brand/model of equipment and layout,
Perhaps others could comment on whether running the CAT5e cable underground between the flat and office,
Corresponding cable protection with pipe and such,
Recommended depth for pipe/cable underground,
Drainage for pipe/cable underground...

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
Once again, thank you for your reply.

For those that can help later on, I live on the top floor of the building and I know I can route the cable through the ceiling in a straight line. I've crawled up in there and there is no division between flats in the ceiling.

I know I'll need to configure the router as an access point but have yet to research on how to do that. All I know is that I have to configure it with the same IP Address as the PLDT Router.

I'll wire the house first. Will get the help when I need it.

Thanks again. :)

U

ua549

Multiples of the same IP address is not allowed on a network segment.
The access point will need its own IP address.

Shinma

Shinma

Toolbox said:
... I live on the top floor of the building and I know I can route the cable through the ceiling in a straight line...
Sounds good. Just make sure to use good quality CAT5e/CAT6 cable(s).
I was originally under the impression that the office and your flat were two separate buildings. :)

Toolbox said:
... I know I'll need to configure the router as an access point but have yet to research on how to do that...
The exact process will vary depending on the brand/model.
Since available models in your region will differ from North America,
Research prior to purchase, that the router can function as a AP, just in case...

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
Thank for all the inputs.

I don't know why I didn't think about this before but I work at a company in where I have nearly a hundred people in my department... the TECHNICAL department! :)

I called in one of my guys to draw out a network diagram for me giving him specifics of what I needed the network to do and he was able to come up with a very fast solution. He said that I just needed three 8-Port Switches/Hubs and a single access point.

He then offered to come to my house over the weekend and configure everything for me. So, all in all, problem solved. I'll just need him to teach me how and what he did.

Thanks for all the help guys. As always, much appreciated. :)

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
Absolutely... I think I'm going to give him one of my mobile phones as his looks to be falling apart. :)

Associates