[RESOLVED] Firewire > USB

TaNG

TaNG

Hi everyone,

OK so I did something really dumb.

I bought a brand new case and its AWESOME! That's not the dumb thing though. I don't know what I was thinking, wait... I wasn't thinking.

Basically I plugged in the front USB connector into the firewire plug on the motherboard. I fried a USB key and wouldn't even have noticed if I didn't smell something burning!

Now that's not really my worry, my worry is that I may have damaged the motherboard? I don't really know how I could have but I just need clarification.

It's funny as well coz I actually got some video card card problems and my computer actually BSOD'd (Win7 64bit) afterwards due to something to do with the video card (ATI5870) not responding. Never had this issue before until now. Could have been a conincidence?

Everything seems to be working now, I dont have a cable that I can test that internal firewire port with, but everything seems OK.

GRRR!!!

Shinma

Shinma

IEEE 1394A maximum voltage: 30v
USB 1.1/2.0: 5v

Possible mobo damage...

GIGABYTE specifically warns against plugging USB cable(s) into the 1EEE 1394a headers in their mobo manuals.
Even has a bright yellow warning symbol in front of each warning.
And vice versa.

TaNG

TaNG

doh!!

i thought the worst that could happen was that the flash drive fried? i dont know how it would go back to the motherboard?

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Don't worry too much about damage to the rest of the motherboard. I once accidentally shorted the cpu fan power pins on a socket A motherboard. That fan header was dead but the board ran for years after.

TaNG

TaNG

If anything broke hopefully it was only the firewire part.

Will keep you guys posted. I m going to pick up a connector today and give it a test.

TaNG

TaNG

Hey guys,

Jsut an update.

I m not sure if the firewire port was damaged, if it was it doesn't seem to have affected the rest of my motherboard. I was able to run about 10 hours of Prime95 no problems, and was playing games and running FurMark to stress test my GPU.

It seems like the problem I was experiencing was the Flash Player issue which can be found all over Google.

What a coincidence for it to happen as I just zapped my USB stick. I just automatically the BSODs were due to that. Haven't had one since but staying clear of anything Flash for now.

TaNG

TaNG

NOOOO!!!

I spoke to soon.

After a few hours of use... BANG! Screen freeze, mouse is still moving but can't click anything. Then blank for a second and back on and Windows (7 64bit) displays that the video has crashed but recovered itself.

This time I was not using Firefox or Flash, the computer was pretty much idle.

So... back to the drawing board.

After some more research ruling out FF/Flash, it seems that this is a pretty common issue with the ATI drivers which have been causing big issues with the 5xxx series cards.

I uninstalled the ATI driver and ran whatever I could to try and duplicate the crash and sure enough, nothing. So I thought back and do recall that I hadn't done a Windows update in quite a while, at least a year. The crashes started happening AFTER I had recently had done a Windows update which included the latest ATI driver. So I found online the earliest driver that supported my video card, installed it and messed around with it for a while trying to get it to crash and nothing. Then I found another previous version of the ATI drivers on my NAS. I must have installed that a while ago and just kept the file. So I just assumed that this version is my stable version. It's like 10.2 or something.

I just did another format and installed using 10.2. Currently running Windows update and so far so good. So fingers crossed it's just that latest driver causing the crashes.

That's my findings so far, thanks for reading this far!

TaNG

TaNG

TaNG

OK final update.

After days of testing and formatting and reformatting and whatever. I finally decided the motherboard is gone.

Went out and got myself a new board and so far so good. Back to normal after a painful and costly mistake.

You were right Shinma, we'll have to rule this one to mobo damage.

Associates