[RESOLVED] different branded ram won't work together

I

Inthehead

hey all,

I have Kingston HyperX 2X512MB DDR400 PC3200 and bought cheapo Cosair Value Select 1GB DDR400 PC3200. My mobo is the old DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D. I read that using different branded ram wouldn't be a problem, all I needed to do was make sure it was the correct speed.

The only way my comp boots up is if the Cosair is in the first slot and only one of the Kingston is in the second slot. So, now I have one stick that isn't in use. I tried to slot the extra kingston stick into the 3rd or 4th slot, but it didn't work. Strange thing is, once I tried adding in the third stick and then just leaving it out, the comp wouldn't boot up at all anymore.

Is there a special order it has to go in? i tried some combinations with all three sticks without anything working. Only having the Corsair in slot 1 and one Kingston in slot 2 works, leaving me frustrated with only 1.5gb of ram and a stick of ram that is just sitting there.

Shinma

Shinma

If applicable,
Manually set memory settings.

Refer to mobo/system manual for memory compatibility/limitation(s).

I

Inthehead

hey shinma,

thanks for helping, you've been a great help these past years : )

now, how and what do i set. should i try timings, speeds, or what? i've looked through the manual and its pretty thin, it only gives a brief overview of the different components.

i just don't know why only one kingston stick will work with the corsair and not two. anyways, i'll look on the internet to see find a more detailed manual.

Shinma

Shinma

The memory manufacturers' website should state/list the specifications/CAS.
e.g.
Corsair VS2GBKIT400C3 ~ Latency/Timing: 3-3-3-8 ~ Voltage: 2.6v
and
Kingston HyperX KHX3200A/512 ~ Latency/Timing: 2-3-2-6 ~ Voltage: 2.6v

For the two examples above, since the Corsair is the slower of the two,
You would use/set latency/timings of the Corsair memory.

I

Inthehead

ohhhh, okay, now i know what you mean. since that is the case, i was using everest ultimate edition, and it says the current timings are 2.5, 3, 3, 7 at 166mhz. should i set it like that or just set it at the corsair timings?

Shinma

Shinma

You did not provide complete specifications/models of the memory you are attempting to use.
Use the latency/timing of the slowest that you have.

I

Inthehead

alright, i'll try it out. i'm sorry that i didn't give the exact specs, but the timings you mentioned were correct, they are the models of my ram sticks.

Justintime

Justintime

Might be something to do with the dual channel activation? With 3 sticks it won't work in DC mode, maybe the board has an issue with it. Also notice its running at DDR333 (PC2700 speeds/166MHz) so might even be an issue with the revision of Athlon you're using in regards to the memory controller, some don't like too much double sided RAM and it seems all of your modules are such..only Rev E onwards had less problems with double sided memory, can't remember but i'd guess alot of 939 boards are limited too in that regard.

I

Inthehead

well, i tried to set the timings with no success. arggghhhhh.

@justintime, i was thinking about the whole dual channel thing, but don't know how to avoid it. i guess your right, the mobo just doesn't like the double sided ram. i guess i'll sell the kingstons to buy another cosair stick.

well thanks for all your help guys.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Ditto to what Justintime said, I remember selling a similar HyperX kit (except it was 2x256MB of DDR433) to a friend of mine with a 939 board and the memory was really unstable in dual-channel regardless of voltage or timings. We found out after testing individual sticks that having both in single-channel worked perfectly, so the memory controller in the 939 CPUs can be really picky...

Associates