[RESOLVED] determining CPU speed

Flash

Flash

I may be having a major brain freeze but........

After being away from building any new systems for a few years, I just built a new i7-3770K sys for myself
with a Radeon 7870 GPU. Everything is running perfect and it's fast!

However, I just ran "CPU-Z" and it recognizes and lists CPU as follows (with numbers rounded off)

Core Speed -1604
Multiplier -16
Bus speed -100

How do the these number represent the 3.5 gigs default speed? I know its 4 cores but, I can not make heads or tails over it. No mater how I do the math it does not come out right.

EDIT........
Never mind............:eek:
I ran CPU-Z while the CPU was under a 100% load and the numbers came out correct. Evidently, the MOBO/CPU throttles back the multiplier at idle speeds and OKs it somewhat at full loads. (16 to 37) The multiplier is not locked on this CPU. :)
Like I said, it's been a while and I had a "brain freeze " :eek:

BTW, I got a "Hyper EVO" cooler and the core temps never go higher than about 55c under prolonged full loads with an ambient temp of 80f.

Last edited:
glussier

glussier

You got yourself a nice system there. Time to stop worrying and start playing a few games. :)

Flash

Flash

Yeah, it's so fast that I presently have nothing that would make me want me to OC it at this point.
However, sometime in the future...........
The CPU runs really cool with the die shrink. :)

glussier

glussier

When only 2 cores are being used, your cpu can be clocked as high as 3.9ghz. Have you installed an ssd? How much ram have-you installed? What cpu were you using before? Lol, lots of questions. :)

Flash

Flash

When only 2 cores are being used, your cpu can be clocked as high as 3.9ghz. Have you installed an ssd? How much ram have-you installed? What cpu were you using before? Lol, lots of questions. :)
*No SSD. I have a WD raptor 300gig for my boot drive.
* 8 gigs (2x4) RAM.
* I have a few systems but, the last I put together (except for frankenstein computers ) was an Intel "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 gigs OCed to 3.1 gigs. It has XP as the main OS and duel boots Visa just for DX10. I still use it for a few things

The new sys has Win 7. It boots in about 15 secs. shuts down in 5 sec. The ASUS "P8-Z77-V-LK MOBO is still set to default (normal) auto OCing and it OCs it to 3.7 gigs using all cores.
I verified this using a program called "heavy load" and "Task Manager".
http://www.jam-software.com/heavyload/
I have not tried it on turbo yet. :)

It's set up in my TV room, replacing an old P-4 Northwood 3.06 sys used as mutii media sys with audio also fed into my stereo, and will be eventually set up to also use my 46" TV as a monitor for gaming, etc . :)

Last edited:
glussier

glussier

I installed a Wireless xbox 360 controller on my computer, and play all my games sitting on a sofa. Much more comfortable than sitting in from of a computer monitor.

AlbertBarkley

AlbertBarkley

You are using the high speed system then why you are worrying about the speed of CPU? Just enjoy dude..

Flash

Flash

Because finding that your high speed system runs at less than half its rated speed might just be a bit worrying ? ;)
Not only that....I'm an old "stick and rudder" computer user (since the "C-64") and it just bothers me if anything is not running perfect or, as it should be.

I was just a bit ignorant about the latest (to me) CPUs/MOBOs and "worrying" about it allowed me to educate myself on it. :)

Last edited:
Flash

Flash

FWIW........
I got it set up to also use my 46' TV as a monitor (via HDMI) when desired and it looks great!

I was surprised that configuration was really simple with Win7 and the R7870 drivers. :)

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Yeah, Windows 7 is a lot better with finding and handling external monitors and TVs. If you play games, take a look at the Big Picture mode in Steam and grab a wireless Xbox 360 controller for a console-like experience with better graphics :)