[RESOLVED] Dell M6300 WiFi On Asus WL500W Router

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
I am so frustrated with this laptop or router of mine. I have tried two other laptops and they both work fine when connected via WiFi but this Dell M6300 refuses to work. I though it was a problem with the laptop so I just finished reinstalling Windows XP but that didn't solve the problem.

Everything else is working fine. When I connect the laptop via ethernet, everything is fine. I can even ping websites. But for some reason, I cannot use Internet Explorer or Google Chrome which are the two browsers I've tried using so far.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Cheers. :)

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
What SP level is your XP at? You should be running at least SP2 if not SP3 by now.

What wifi encryption are you using? Did you try disabling wifi security to test your connection? Is SSID broadcast enabled?

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
Thank you for taking the time out tom reply.

I have SP3 and Encryption is WEP64-Bits. I have already tried removing the security settings and both enabling and disabling the SSID Broadcast so I have no idea what else to try.

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
Wow! I feel utterly stupid right now. I cannot seem to solve this problem. It seems so simple... "Make the WiFi work" and yet, I can't get it. Never had this hard a time figuring something out.

H E L P ! ! !

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

Are you sure that the Wifi card in the laptop is working at all? It sounds like you have tried the usual and customary things.

Also, some laptops have a button that turns the Wifi card on and off. Does yours? I know that sounds dumb, but I spent about three hours working on a friend's laptop once, just to realize that the Wifi was turned off.

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
I finally got it! I have no idea how but for some reason, it works now.

As for your queries, yes, the laptop has a FN + F2 function to turn the WiFi on and off. Last thing I remeber doing is updating the Firmware and changing all the security settings to something far more complicated and secure. There is no way I can do it again if I ever run into another problem. Hopefully, I can get a different router before then.

Cheers all. :)

Associates