[RESOLVED] Dell fan running loud

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
This is a Dell D630 with a 2.6ghz, 3 gb of ram and XP Pro. The fan starts out loud then gets quiet. The computer can work all day without this loud fan noise, all day. As soon as I restart or when 1st turned on the fan runs for maybe 5 minutes loudy. When the fan quiets down it stays quiet. It only gets loud when restarted and 1st turn on. It does not make a bearing noise just a blowing noise like some some older Toshiba's do. So it does not sound like the fan has a problem just that the computer runs it on startup or restart.

It is absolutely clean inside. What can this be?
When I first got the computer the heat sink vanes in the back had a dent in three vanes but I straighten them up with a tiny screwdriver so the air is clearing these vanes perfectly. I have opened up the keyboard and heatsink area and blew out all dust. It seem to be clean in this whole general area.

Any ideas?

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
It only happens on startup or restart then it can be on all day and be a quiet fan is what is so strange. Like yesterday it was left on all day and the fan was mildly quiet. If I had restarted it at the end of the day the fan would cycle loudly for 5 minutes again. I have had over 40 of these units and this is the only one that does this.

M

Martin_89

all Dells do this however only for around 2-3 seconds on a fresh boot. sounds like its an issue with the motherboards temp sensor that controls the fan speed?

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
Look. When I start the computer in the morning it does it. No problem with heat here. If I leave the computer on all day it gets warm a bit like my other D630. If I decided to restart it while warm then it does the same thing, 5 min of fan blowing loudly and then a silent whirl for the rest of the day. So it can't be related to heat, don't you agree.

I have four of these D630s and a D620 and none of them do this except for this one. I have opened it and checked out for any dust. Used a compressor and an air can. No dust whatsoever is in this machine.

Any thoughts?

Shinma

Shinma

As Martin_89 already pointed out,
Many laptops have fans revving at high rpms at cold boot and at restarts then idles after a little while.
The only thing out of the ordinary in this case, is the duration: five minutes, which sounds a bit long.
Since it is in the design, not aware of any workaround.

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
I have bought and sold over 40 D630 and D620s and none of them done this.

Shinma

Shinma

Since you're sure about the long duration and there are no configurable setting in the CMOS/BIOS menu,
Still not aware of any workaround since problem likely due to mobo itself.
Mobo replacement.

Associates