[RESOLVED] Cpu fan spinning slower than before after cleaning?

YankeeMan

YankeeMan

Hi, Today, i cleaned my cpu fan (stock from an AMD PHENOM II X4 920).
I remember this cpu used to be at 6048 rpm when cpu was in heavy use.
But now at 100% it hardly reaches 4500rpm. My cool and quiet is off, no software installed, nor bios option set.
Q-fan is disabled. speedfan reports 100% and only 4200rpm.
What could it be? Also this cpu fan is 3 cable plug, Is there a way to put it at maximum speed always?

Gracias.

Shinma

Shinma

The rpm control of a processor's heatsink fan is available in the CMOS/BIOS menu.
Double check your mobo manual/CMOS/BIOS menu.

YankeeMan

YankeeMan

yes it shows the rpm but it's disable (even knowing that my MOBO and BIOS support cpu fan rpm control), and that my stock AMD PHENOM II X4 920 has 3 cable connector.

Shinma

Shinma

No comment since you did not provide details. Specifically the brand and complete model of the mobo/system.

You stated 3 pin but the image provided is that of a 4 pin connector intended for mobo header.
The 4 pin connectors are typically associated fans with variable rpm.
The 3 pin connectors are typically associated fan with fixed rpm.

Since you're certain that there are no other controls for the rpm of the fan via CMOS/BIOS menu,
You can replace the fan.

YankeeMan

YankeeMan

Excuse me Shinma, just turned off my computer, disconnect and re-seated the cpu fan, and it has 4 cables, and the MOBO supports also 4 cables connector.
Dunno why i cannot set the RPM speed in my BIOS.
Strange
it's an ASROCK MOBO model K10N750SLI-110db (kinda old nowaday).
FULL SPECS HERE

Any ideas why rpm wont go higher than that? (besides thinking it's damaged).

Gracias again.

Shinma

Shinma

YankeeMan said:
... ASROCK MOBO model K10N750SLI-110db ...
According to your mobo manual, page 61, the only settings dealing with the processor fan is CPU Quiet Fan, it should be set to Disabled for full speed operation. That is it.

Associates