[RESOLVED] Computer randomly freezes in POST, BIOS and Windows

Shinma

Shinma

That Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 is better than the retail heatsink,
However,
There are better performing heatsinks with similar prices.
e.g. Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus.

Q

qotifrez

Yeah, but I had this unused Arctic cooler already so I figured I would give it a shot. However the fan didn't seem to start (it budged for half a second, then stopped) when I started the computer.. The fan has a 4-pin cable socket, compared to the 3-pin on the cable socket that followed with the retail HSF. I didn't think that should matter.. And just to note; I obviously connected the cable socket to the 4-pin mobo input :)

I consider buying the Cooler Master 212, but now I am unsure if I should as I noticed that it also comes with the 4-pin power cable socket.

Any clues why the Arctic fan just budged and never really started when starting the computer/ PSU?

Edit: I reconnected the retail fan afterwards, and that one worked like it had previously.

Last edited:
jimbo1763

jimbo1763

Are you sure that you are connecting the fan to the CPU fan header and not to a case fan header?

Were you running a fan speed control function in your BIOS?

Q

qotifrez

Please see my two uploaded photos of the used 4-pin (and 3-pin) below:

Photo #1 (red cirle around the 4-pin used)
Photo #2

My motherboard manual tells me that the mobo has the following sockets:
3 x fan headers, only one of them allows rpm control (in the current BIOS version). Smart Fan mode is available only with a 4-pin cooler.

I didn't run the fan speed control in BIOS.
1. I didn't want to leave the computer on for too long when the fan didn't start up, as I wouldn't want the CPU to be completely fried.
2. The fan didn't start in the first place, so I assume trying to select between two different modes in BIOS (thermal cruise or step smart fan) wouldn't really help getting the fan started.

By the way, I found this thread in another forum (link) when searching for the fan budging issue I'm having. Not entirely the same problem I am having, but very much alike. Seemed like thus guy's problem was the motherboard. May it be that some of the previous replies are correct - that my mobo for sure is faulty as well, in addition to the CPU might being heavily overheated?

Thanks once again for all the replies and the great follow-up guys!

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

Okay. But please be sure that you are trying to plug the fan into the CPU fan header, even if it is three-pin. That may leave what is likely the blue wire unconnected, if your CPU fan header only has three pins.

I could not tell for sure whether you had connected to the CPU fan header.

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
I had the weirdest thing happen today... my freckn computer won't boot. it would get to the bios screen and freeze.. then i'd have to reset.. it would get to the windows startup screen, then it would say "shutting down"... then another reboot. the mouse cursor would sit there and nothing moves, keyboard light wouldnt light up.... i was about to kick the damm thing and decided to try anothe keyboard.. and walllllla everything worked.

this is an older computer with PS/2 keyboard and mouse inputs, so apparently they're both interconnected, and if one fails they both fail.

so.... try another keyboard while you're at the discovery process.. i switched out with a USB keyboard.

Shinma

Shinma

qotifrez said:
...The fan has a 4-pin cable socket, compared to the 3-pin on the cable socket that followed with the retail HSF. I didn't think that should matter...
Your CPUFAN1 header is capable of using both a 3 pin and 4 pin fans.

qotifrez said:
...Any clues why the Arctic fan just budged and never really started when starting the computer/ PSU? ...
In CMOS/BIOS menu:

Set CPU FAN PIN Select to 4 PINS
Set Smart FAN Target to 40°C
Refer to page 3-20 of your mobo manual.

Q

qotifrez

I really appreciate all you guys following up the thread!

jimbo1763:
I tried to connect the Arctic fan to the 3-pin, leaving the blue wire out. The same thing happened; the fan only budged when starting the computer. Note that this is the same 3-pin that is working fine with the other retail HSF (which as mentioned has a 3-pin cable socket).
Attaching another link to an image of which header I am using.

whutsupdoc:
I have tried using a USB/PS2 adapter, but the computer still froze. I have also tried with another USB keyboard that requires less power from the PSU, but the same problem occured.

Shinma:
Your CPUFAN1 header is capable of using both a 3 pin and 4 pin fans.
Yeah, that is what I got out from the mobo manual as well.

I enabled the Chassis Intrusion, and set the values as you requested. However, the same thing occurs - just a budge.

Here is some information picked up from the H/W Monitor in BIOS, which might be useful (?):

SYSFAN Speed: 0 RPM
CPUFAN Speed: 0 RPM
CPU Vcore: 1,328 - 1,336

I was able to leave my computer on for about 10 minutes without it freezing by the way. It could look like the new thermal compound following the Arctic fan, together with the heatsink itself, perhaps have given me a slightly advantage - but this is just a guessing for now. I couldn't dare to leave my computer on for longer than those 10 minutes, as the CPU temperature was closing in on 70°C.

Any suggestions of why the fan still only budges? :/

Last edited:
jimbo1763

jimbo1763

Are your case fans running? Have you tried running the machine with the side off the case (to check on adequate ventilation inside the case)?

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
too bad u have to wait so long to get that thermal paste.... aren't there computer repair places in your area you can get some from to test with a new fan/heat sink?

Q

qotifrez

jimbo1763:
All my case fans are running fine, and I am also running the computer with both sides off the case.

whutsupdoc:
The newly installed Arctic HSF did have pre-done thermal compound on it, so the old paste has been replaced already :)

A pleasant update by the way guys:
I did a little modification to the two HSFs. I am now using the retail CPU fan (which works fine on the 3pin header) together with the Arctic heatsink, and it seems to work really good. I am now in BIOS monitoring the CPU temperature. Earlier the temperature rise about one or two degrees every ten seconds, but now it has been running for 20 minutes on a stable 43°C.

The SYSFAN Speed is around 3900 RPM when I am in BIOS.
Edit: By the way! Why is the SYSFAN showing statistics, while the CPUFAN is at 0 RPM? Am I missing something here?

I will try to download memtest now and see if I manage to run it, without the computer freezing up again. As I don't really know if the CPU is defect, I cannot conclude with having solved the issue yet. Even though the CPU temperature has been massively improved, I am not really confident that I am rid of the problem quite yet.

Thanks again guys for great support guys! I will return with an update about memtest shortly.

Last edited:
Q

qotifrez

Problem solved!

Suspect defective fan and/or defective mobo then.
So did I, until I read some specs about the fan. The Arctic Freezer fan is actually set up so that it doesn't start running until it registers a certain temperature from the heatsink. That is the reason it never really starts when initializing a boot. Hence it isn't defect, but from my experience the CPU might be overheated before the fan actually starts. So I would personally not advice buying the Arctic Freezer HSF, unless you wanna gamble with your CPU's life.

Anyways! I am now using my desktop computer to reply in the forum. I just finished up mounting the manual-modified HSF. I am using Everest Ultimate Edition to monitor the computer temperatures. I might as well share the values. These are stable temperatures shown when using Windows "normally".
Motherboard: 42°C
CPU: 47°C
CPU Core #1: 40°C
CPU Core #2: 36°C

I also just finished testing my RAM. I let the test run 3 times, and it produced no errors in memtest86.

The computer seems to be working brilliantly now!

I must again thank all you guys for the quick responses, good followup - and most importantly the numerous good advices and tips! Thanks alot everyone! :)

I guess I could install a better fan for the heatsink, as I am now using the retail fan. Anyways, my computer works fine now and it seems like the CPU temperature really was the problem.

I will come back to you in a couple of days, just to really make sure the problem is solved - and to give this forum the response and information it deserves. Thanks again!

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
I'll take a double dark fudge brownie as reward for guessing an overheated CPU !!!! :D

ding ding ding :)

Q

qotifrez

I'll take a double dark fudge brownie as reward for guessing an overheated CPU !!!! :D

ding ding ding :)
You were definately correct about the computer being too hot :)

However, my computer froze again today. After running for about 15 minutes, it froze in Windows. I checked if the case felt overheated, and it didn't. I rebooted the computer and went into BIOS to monitor the CPU temperature. It was at 41°C, and stable. After about a minute of monitoring, the computer froze again. I rebooted, went to monitor in BIOS again, and the computer froze after 4 minutes.

As this thread is beginning to stack up posts, I will try to shorten it down, and create an overview:

Obviously there are something defect in my computer, and it is definitely a hardware-related issue.
- Graphics card: The problem persisted when having another graphics card installed. Also tried mounting it in the second PCI-E slot, issue remained.
- RAM : memtest86 confirmed that both my memory sticks were running fine without any errors.
- Power supply: Checked every pin with a multimeter, all parameters/ values were correct.
- Hard drive(s): The computer froze in BIOS even without any hard drives connected.

- CPU: Core temperatures have been heavily diminished after re-doing the thermal paste, together with installing a new heat sink. However I don't know if the CPU has taken any severe damage by the previous overheating - and that it might therefore is unstable now.
- Motherboard: I haven't tried another mobo, so I really don't have a conclusion about it yet.

Please note that when my computer froze the first time today, it kind of just budged in the beginning. It froze for half a second, then it worked fine again for two seconds. Froze again for a second or two, then worked fine for two seconds, but then eventually froze completely.

Any suggestions guys?

Last edited:
The CandyMan

The CandyMan

Chocolately LAN Goodness!
I've seen an error with a system where the heatsink on the CPU was not seated correctly and though the system would not freeze, one of the two cores was at 70-100% usage constantly, even in idle, by the ACPI which is in part for controlling power and fan speed. Once I replaced the thermal paste and reseated the heatsink/fan it worked perfect with barely 1-2% usage overall in idle. Crazy and it took me about 4 hours to narrow the problem down in part because I took the system apart and notice the heatsink was not seated correctly.

The CandyMan

The CandyMan

Chocolately LAN Goodness!
Make that 3 votes for the mobo. I've had similar problems like you and most ended up being a bad motherboard.

Q

qotifrez

Thanks guys, I thought that as well.

By the way, a little off-topic question;
Du you know about any online computer/hardware stores with fair prices that also ships to Norway?

Associates