[RESOLVED] Chromecast.

M

MKR

I am trying to figure out this new device, looking for a simple answer. I have cable Internet with a proven speed of 30Mbits speed which is pretty good for watching TV programs from Internet sites. I also have a router for my home network. The router also works fine. Beside the desktop I also have a laptop which mostly use with network. On each PCs I watch for instance foreign TV programs when they are made available by the TV stations, i.e. ARD from Germany or BBC from the UK. Can I use the Chromecast from GOOGLE to watch these programs by plugging in the device into an available HDMI port since the device works on Wi-Fi. Can anyone explain whether this would work or not: getting to the website on the laptop for instance, switch the TV to the HDMI port were the Chromecast is connected.

So far I have not found a clear-cut answer to this question.

M

MKR

Thanks Shinma. I'd like to believe what the guys says in his article. I have Google Chrome installed and therefore I should be able to use Chromecast to watch TV programs directly from the website to the TV. Am I right by expressing it this way?

M

MKR

Thanks Shinma. Now I am getting really confused. My understanding now is, it would not work as I described it. Right?

Shinma

Shinma

Short answer,
Officially NOT supported.

With that said,
If you purchased one before/without the recent update plus using third party app, it should work.

If you purchase/use a recent/updated one, it will not work.
Unless another third party app has been developed & distributes a workaround.

Keep in mind that third party developer(s) may or may not create/distribute new apps depending on circumstances.
e.g. If developer(s) get fed up with Google frequently changing it with updates and intentionally breaking the apps, not profitable...

M

MKR

Thanks Shinma. That was clear enough for me. It does not work!!! What a sh...!! Have to use the old method with my laptop and an HDMI cable. I know there are devices that one can plu-in a TV and use Wi-Fi but my flat screen 37" does not have a plug for this device. The next TV will have all of this.

Shinma

Shinma

You're welcome.

MKR said:
... I know there are devices that one can plu-in a TV and use Wi-Fi ... The next TV will have all of this.
WiFi capability may be justified, if wireless is a must, but a full out "Smart TV" may or may not be of interest, depending on your situation.

Keep in mind that wireless standards/specifications change
so
The effectiveness/lifespan of the wireless component of the tv is anyone's guess.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Yeah, I'd rather "waste" $35 on Chromecast to have a great Netflix/YouTube app than have a crappy version embedded in my TV. "Smart" TVs are IMO an horrible idea from the start.