[RESOLVED] Can't find mini PCI Wireless card on Dell XPS 430 motherboard

S

stevebreslin

I believe the "Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N MiniPCI Card" in my XPS 430 is faulty and I want to replace it - but I can't find it on the motherboard!

I've also looked at Dell's motherboard diagram for the XPS 430 but there's no mention of it. I've scoured Google too but no help.

Anyone have any ideas where it's located?

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

Are you sure that card is part of your motherboard and not added on via a PCI express slot? I can't tell from the web.

S

stevebreslin

I'm not sure it's part of the motherboard, I'm just beginning to think it is because I cannot physical see it in any of the slots.

Dell describe as a "mini PCI card" but their motherboard diagram for the XPS 430 does not have any mini PCI slots. Considering I can't find it on the motherboard I think it is possible that the "card" is actually a chip or chipset built into the motherboard, and not designed to be replaced. I can of course just disable it and install a new PCI wireless card, but I wanted to have a look at the existing card first. Maybe Dell have incorrectly described it as a mini PCI card.

Anway, my question is, if it's a card in a socket on the board, where exactly is it located?

S

stevebreslin

yep, I know, but I still can't find it though. I was thinking it might be hidden under the processor housing, or something else, but that would be a bit bananas and I'm not going to start pulling random components off the board unless someone says "yeah, its definitely hidden away under the processor housing unit"!

S

stevebreslin

by the way it's described as European in the component listing for my system, although I'm not sure that makes a difference unless European cards have invisibility properties I wasn't aware of...

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Is this a desktop or laptop? The XPS430 I see is listed as a desktop.

For laptops, the mini-pci wifi card would have 2 wires connected to it.

What makes you think the card is faulty?

S

stevebreslin

It's always worked and it's still working now, it's just flaky. It seems to be a well-documented problem with this card, but I've only looked into it recently - well-passed my warranty with Dell.

The signal quality is often very low, sometimes as low as -85dBm (not far off the noise level of -90dBm) even with the router only a few feet away from the desktop. It's generally acceptable, i.e. approx 10 or 20 Mbps transfer rate (albeit with a 54 Mbps or even a 270 Mbps router) but sometimes it can become unusable.

Anyway, the faultiness of the card is not my question - my question is where on the motherboard is the card located?

The XPS 430 is a desktop tower. Mini PCI cards are typically used in laptops (for obvious reasons) so it is indeed strange that that is how Dell have described the card in my desktop, which leads me to believe it is an incorrect description by Dell and in fact it is actually built-in to the motherboard (although I've never heard of this kind of placement for wireless hardware in a desktop - then again I'm no expert!).

If it is built-in to the motherboard, that's fine, I'll just buy a PCI card to replace it, but if not I'd like to know where it's hiding out!

U

ua549

A mini-pcie card is approximately 30mm x 51mm. Dell has several physical versions of the card. It MUST be connected to one of the PCI-E slots on your system board. AFAIK It is not an embedded chip on the system board.

Associates