[RESOLVED] Can't connect to my router with Atheros adapter

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
I work on computers. Everytime I get a laptop with an Atheros wifi card I cannot connect to my Netgear Wifi. I can connect to all my 4 neighbors with poor connections but not with mine. Is there something going on with Netgear's electronics and Atheros? I don't get it. Happens every time. I have to go plug into the router to get Internet. What's with Atheros?

Is some hardware just compatible with others?

Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

Administrator
A wireless network adapter allows a computing device to join a wireless LAN. Wireless network adapters contain a built-in radio transmitter and receiver. Each adapter supports one or more of the 802.11a, 802.11b, or 802.11g Wi-Fi standards.
Note the "One or More" part.... Which standard does your router support:confused:

U

ua549

Can you connect to the router with a different system? Has the router been configured? Are you using the correct encryption method and key? Is the router wireless working? Check it with inSSIDer.

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
I am using the router and modem every day and so is my wife's computer. She is plugged right to the router. It works great. All other computers in the house are on WiFi. We use the WPA-PSK.

It's just that with some wifi cards in some laptops like the Atheros it does not want to connect with our Netgear router. I just reinstalled Windows on this laptop too so there isn't any bugs on the computer.

My neighbor's connections come in good even with one bar showing if I wanted to use it. I get 5 bars with my router but it still will not give me a webpage with this one laptop with Atheros adapter. I am wondering about some wifi hardware not being compatible. Is that possible?

Last edited:
J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
Do I need to be wired to the router to use the inSSIDer? I did it on my desktop working wirelessly and it did not bring up the inSSIDer interface but a different interface and it said "wireless card not found"

U

ua549

Evidently there is an issue with wireless on the desktop. Perhaps it doesn't have wireless. The software uses the wireless receiver on the system where it is running and reports on all of the signals it detects. Here is what it will look like.

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
I got it now. I had two wifi softwares on the computer. My old card and my new card and it kept bring up my old card's software. I unstalled my old card and the inSSIDer came up just fine, thanks.
Mine looks different that this one though at the bottom. It shows networks above the channels that their on.

Associates