[RESOLVED] Audio Card.

M

MKR

Let me explain my situation:
I just got a HP H8-1110t desktop. On the motherboard is a Nvidia High Definition Audo, which appears to be by Beats audio. It is not clear to me. The SW Control is by Beats. On the motherboard are to small PCIe slots available. I would like to put in a ASUS DX? audio card into a slot The card has the long PCIe connectors divided into a small part which probably fits into the smal PCIe slot. Would this work, if I disable the Beats/Nvidia audio?

Sorry, if I could not explain it better above because this is new to me.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

It would probably go something like this:
  • Uninstall Beats Audio in Programs and Features.

• Uninstall Nvidia in Device Manager.

• Shutdown ... all the way down.

• Install the ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Sound Card in one of the short PCIe x1 slots and button the system back up.

• Press the power button, enter the BIOS Setup, disable the onboard sound, enable PCIe sound (if available), save your changes and exit.

• When Windows 7 starts loading it should automatically discover your new hardware and get it setup for you.

• Install the software that comes with the Sound Card.

--

The exact instructions will be in the "Quickstart Guide" that comes with the Sound Card.

M

MKR

I have checked each point above.

1) I can only disable the Beats thing (named IDT High Def. Audio CODEC in Device Manager. Uninstalling would mean it's gone for good and cannot be reinstalled, if anything goes wrong.

2) Same treue for NVIDIA.

3) I checked the BIOS, there is no way to disable onboard sound. It is simply not available.

All other points are ok.

The point of my question was to explore ways to install the ASUS sound card which I had in my old and now defunct PC. The card produced excellent sound on the old 2006 PC. I would guess, it is too risky to go on with the idea under the given circumstances. The Beats thing produces also good sound but something is missing. Additionally the SW controls from Beats are poor as compared to the SW controls from ASUS.

Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
The Asus Xonar DX should be able to install into the PCIe -x1 slot with no problem.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find a manual for that systems BIOS, so I can't provide a 2nd pair of eyes there. However, if it can't be disabled in the BIOS, don't uninstall it in Windows.

Uninstalling would mean it's gone for good and cannot be reinstalled, if anything goes wrong.
For future reference, you can certainly always re-install it. The drivers will either be on a CD/DVD provided with the system, or available on-line at the HP website. Here are the links:

For now, perhaps try installing the Asus Xonar DX and setting it up as the default audio device, leaving the original sound card untouched. Windows 7 can handle multiple audio devices quite well.

M

MKR

OK., I found the backup, so no problem there.

But I have another idea. Why not install the ASUS SW control as such and disable the beats SW control. I am saying this because the ASUS SW control is much more versatile than the beats one, And the HW shouldn't care by wich SW control it is controlled?

Anyway, thanks for all the advice here which has helped a lot so far.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

But I have another idea. Why not install the ASUS SW control as such and disable the beats SW control. I am saying this because the ASUS SW control is much more versatile than the beats one, And the HW shouldn't care by wich SW control it is controlled?
There's actually good chances the software won't run correctly or start at all.

Sound card and video card interfaces are usually a proprietary front-end to access features and control a driver for a given range of hardware. Furthermore, installing that software will likely require the device driver to be installed as well... which probably won't do much if the device is not installed ;)

With that said, you probably won't have conflicts between the Beats Audio and the Asus software as each one will control its device.

M

MKR

Ok., I think I need to start from the beginning. It was my fault not to express myself clearly.

The audi card is an ASUS Xonar D2 with a complete PCIe x16 connector at the bottom. The new desktop has three free PCIe x1 slots. The basic question is: would the Xonar PCIe card with a x16 connector work when installed into a PCIe x1 slot. If it does not work, then I can forget the rest.

However, if it works, ASUS offers now a 64-bit SW for Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. which could mean, to disable the IDT High Definition CODEC in Device Manager. I could leave the NVIDIA High Definition Audio on of which I find 4 entries in Devoce Manager.

I hope that this explanation makes it better understandable, what I am trying to do.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Hmm, it's weird that you talk about the Xonar being PCIe x16... PCIe sound cards are x1 and have a small connector like this :

Are you sure your Xonar is not actually a legacy PCI version like this one ?

If that's the case then sadly it won't work as your motherboard does not have any legacy PCI slots, and PCIe is not backwards compatible with PCI so your card won't even fit. That means you have to buy another sound card :(

M

MKR

Subject resolved! The card I have is the legacy! So it will not work at all!
Have to buy the new one! Thanks for the great post which clarified the whole subject.

Associates