[RESOLVED] Anyine familiar with LAME? Can't figure how to install

S

splunge

I'm trying to get Audacity, the freeware music editor, to work and need LAME to export MP3's. I downloaded and extracted the file from sourceforge, but can't for the life of me figure out how to install it.

I know this isn't a hardware issue, but I've gotten good advice here in the past.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
Make sure you've extracted the LAME download file.

Run Audacity. The first time you export an mP3, it'll prompt you for the location of the "lame_enc.dll" (once you hit "Save"). Direct it to the location you extracted the LAME download file to.

S

splunge

Thanks for the reply.
It doesn't seem to be working. I DL'd a GZip file and openned it with 7Zip keeping the file system intact-I have a folder named lame-3.97 in my "downloaded folder". When Audacity asks to locate my lame_enc.dll file I browse to the downloaded folder, the lame-3.97 folder, and the subfolders and it gives me the message can not open the encoding library. Am I missing something?

Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
A GZip file? I think you may have downloaded the source code only.

I get my LAME binaries from here. They don't provide binaries at the official LAME website strangely.

ThePerson98

ThePerson98

All you need is lame_enc.dll

I usually, with Audacity, put it in it's folder (C:\Program Files\Audacity usually) and then have it find it there. I've had weird things in the past where it asks for it each time and it seemed to stop asking for it each time when I started doing that.

Associates