[RESOLVED] Adding a Hub (and 2pc) to 2nd Router

C

CrabClaw11

Hi,

I have a Wireless Router (with one associated wireless laptop ) connected to my modem with a Second Router connected (DHCP disabled) to the first router. On the Second Router, i connected two(2) pc's <<which work fine>> and a Hub <<doesn't work fine>> which i would like to connect two(2) more pc's to the Hub.

I can't seem to get the flow to work from the Hub to the two(2) pc's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Details like Make/Model of your devices would help.

Are you using a crossover cable between the 2nd router and the hub? Which ports are you using? Is there an uplink port?

C

CrabClaw11

Equipment:
Router1; wireless linksys WRT54G
Router2; linksys BEFSR41
Hub; linksys EZXS55W

Current Connection:
Router1 to Router2 (Port1 to Port4)
Router2 to Hub (Port1 to Port1)

There are uplink(s) available on both Router2 and Hub-(shared port5 n uplink)

I have two short cable(s) one in use (Router2 to Hub)...
and another one... but i'm not sure if it's a crossover cable. I don't know the difference.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
The EZXS55W is a switch, not a hub.

If you don't know, then chances are it's a regular patch cable. Look at the colored wires in the end plugs. On a crossover, the positions of the green and orange wires are switched on either end. You would use the uplink ports for the same effect.

You need to plug one end of the cable into a regular port on BEFSR41 and the uplink port on the EZXS55W. Do not use the plug next to the uplink plug on the EZXS55W.

NOTE TO USERS OF 10/100 5- OR 8-PORT
SWITCH (EZXS55W OR EZXS88W): If you
connect a router or additional switch to the
Uplink port, then you cannot use the numbered
port next to the Uplink port (port 5 on the
5-Port Switch or port 8 on the 8-Port Switch will
be inactive). The two ports are wired together,
so they cannot be used simultaneously.

C

CrabClaw11

ahhh.. [email protected] switch vs hub (altzheimers here). I remember shopping for a hub but must have changed my mind and picked up the less expensive switch box instead. The cables ARE patch cables thanks to your description.

And your solution worked! :)

It was weird though, When i plugged in the switch box along with the two(2) pc's, they worked for a few minutes, (very sluggishly though) then stopped again.

I may have a bad port (#1) that i used on my second router? I don't know.

Anyway, I tried your suggestion on port(3) of the second router and all seems to be ok now.

I now have:

Modem -> Router1 (wireless laptop connected)
Router1 -> Router2 (my pc connected)
Router2 -> Switch box (my son's two pc's and my work pc connected)

Thanks Midknyte!

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Thanks to the guys here I now know the difference. A hub is stupid in the sense it doesn't manage the traffic and you get packet collisions that require resending. They're easy -- require no config, but I don't think they allow computers to see each other, just all to see a source, such as the internet.

Switches do manage the traffic. A router includes a switch and can be configured to work as just a switch, but you might need a crossover cable when using a router as a switch.

I think -- should be confirmed by experts.

Associates