[RESOLVED] Acer Aspire 3000 random shutdowns

27th-Sabre

Hi, i have a friends laptop that i'm trying to fix for her. It is an Acer Aspire 3000 and it is shutting down randomly. It always makes 2 beeps before it shuts down. I tried reinstalling windows XP but it shut down during the install process.
so i think its a hardware issue but i don't have any suspects. Happens with or without being plugged in.

Thanks for any help

harry01

harry01

Yes it's a good idea to clean hs/fan. Take apart to get at fan, it's better to clean it that way. Possible fan is shot, make sure it is going on.
Could be memory also. If 2 modules, take one out and turn on,see if any improvement Then try the 1'st one you took out by itself.
Borrow known working memory from somebody if you can.
Run Memtest86 if you can.

27th-Sabre

thanks for the input i was thinking possible heat issues myself i will test those theories tomorrow evening. Any more thoughts will be appreciated and i will keep you guys updated.

27th-Sabre

i removed a RAM stick last night and was able to complete an install of XP without crashing, but i didnt have to set up Memtest. Hopefully i will have more time to mess with it tonight. ill keep you posted.

Thanks again

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
The reviews harry01 linked all talked of heat issues. Less ram might be a slight help with heat simply by reducing the warm objects inside the case, but of course will hinder operation. It sounds like this particular laptop needs maximum attention to cooling: aggressive cleaning of the cooling fan, and probably use of one of those laptop coolers, one that lines up its fans with the intakes on the Acer.

This model might have a design problem internally with the contact between the cpu and the cooler, but dealing with that would require disassembly and DIY skills to fabricate some improvement. The only other thing I can suggest is to look at the physical location of the cpu, hdd, and ram. Some laptops placed those heat sources (the motherboard chipset would be the other major contributor) too close to each other and exacerbated heating issues. If this were the case, SPCR (link below) has test results for some laptop hdd's on heat and power draw, to assist in finding a cooler running hdd. Samsungs are generally good.

27th-Sabre

UPDATE: i have recently installed speedfan and memtest and while running both the core temp climbs to an outrageous 100*C! then it will shut down. i have cleaned the fan and vents. I know that buying a good chill mat is probably my best bet at this point but i dont want to resort to that just yet. here is a look at what im dealing with for a cooling system.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Is the heatsink contacting the cpu properly? You may need to reapply thermal paste also.

Make sure there is nothing between the fan and the heatsink fins. I've seen that clogged up with a solid wall of dirt before.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Most people who use Speedfan are using it to reduce fan speeds. I suppose you could use it to max the fan.

I would remove the heatsink/heatpipe, clean surfaces and use fresh thermal compound. Then see if there's a way to apply a little more pressure to the heatsink, either by slightly bending the three arms or by using a shim between the heatsink and the case, preferably metal like aluminum or copper. A large thin piece of aluminum or copper touching the heatpipe (and not shorting out any of the motherboard components below) would help conduct heat away from the heatpipe.

27th-Sabre

im already in the process of applying thermal paste to the CPU (there was no pad or paste on it) taking this laptop completely apart was a puzzle but i took my time and enjoyed it as this is my 1st laptop disassembly. And DanceMan, im really liking the aluminum shim idea might give it a try if i can find something.

27th-Sabre

I dont know if i should put silver thermal compound on this CPU i dont know if it will short it out. i've inclosed a picture.

Last edited:
DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Be sure and use Midknyte's link. The instructions at Arctic Silver are very thorough, and specific for different types of cpu.

If you use the shim idea, I'd be inclined to put a small piece of pvc electrical tape over that IC at the bottom to prevent any possible contact or shorting. The idea of the shim was to put more pressure on the heatsink for better contact and to help take heat out of the heatsink and thus the cpu. Good luck!

27th-Sabre

SOLVED! While disassembling the laptop i opened the cover to the fan compartment and there was a solid 5mm dust wall on the inside of the intake. so i cleared that and bent the 3 legs on the heat sink. i just had it running at 100% CPU capacity for 3 hours and its holding between 60-65. i want to thank all of you for your assistance and efforts. working on this laptop was a great learning experience and i feel much more comfortable with working on laptops in the future.

Thanks again!

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Congratulations! You can't fix 'em all, but you won't fix any if you don't try.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
there was a solid 5mm dust wall on the inside of the intake
Intake? The hole directly above the fan is the intake. I think you mean exhaust which is what I meant when I said this:
Make sure there is nothing between the fan and the heatsink fins. I've seen that clogged up with a solid wall of dirt before.