[RESOLVED] About VOIP and costs

YankeeMan

YankeeMan

Hi, I 'm very interested in all about VOIP, but I have some doubts.

1. Why do I have to pay extra if I have: unlimited (fixed phone at home), unlimited 4mb ADSL.

2. According to what I have read, I have to buy a VOIP connector to plug my phone to it, then it to my ADSL router.

3. Why do I need a "voip provider"? If I'm the one who is setting it up.

4. (even if needed) Why do I have to buy credits If I'm calling local numbers.

5. Last but not least, Since All goes travels thru internet, Is it possible to: Connect from my cellphone (thru internet) to my home and make a local call? (remember it's unlimited for my fixed phone, so no charge right?)?

Thanks.

Shinma

Shinma

There are plenty of hardware and service functioning in the background for VOIP service.

If you don't wish to pay, use software such as Skype.

If you intend to set up you own VOIP service, general design guide at the following, LINK

YankeeMan

YankeeMan

Gracias for Answering Shinma.
Have you ever build your own VOIP at home? (fully free).

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
You need an interface between the internet and the phone system. That's what a VOIP service provider does. It's what Skype does. I use a small local VOIP service and I would not mind having some computer control in between my home phone and the outside phone world -- to keep a record of all numbers and to block designated numbers, but I have not seen anything that would do that.

Skype can offer free Skype to Skype service because they can keep it within their own servers and outside the normal telephone world. To access the normal telephone world requires the resources and costs you get with a VOIP company.

YankeeMan

YankeeMan

DanceMan, that's what I mean... What "interface or resource" does the companies provide that I cannot do by myself?
The RJ11 to USB? (it's purchasable and cheap).
The Internet? Got it.
The fixed phone? Got it.

What else?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

You may be able to install whatever is necessary on your end to get your phone call to travel over the internet, (i.e., VoIP), but, what about at the other end of the call? The first problem would be how are you going to make their phone ring? It's plugged into the telephone network, not the internet.

In other words, your outbound VoIP call (bits/bytes) is going to need to be converted back to a 'normal' telephone signal (sound) and then redirected (injected into) the 'normal' telephone network (Ma Bell) so that the receiving party can communicate with you with their 'normal' telephone.

Last edited:
nodnod

nodnod

Dismember
You can call from gmail to a landline for free anywhere within North America. They won't be able to call you back though

Associates