[RESOLVED] A friend flashed my old GeForce 6800 to a 6800 GTO, now I can't boot up.

H

hollowropes

I let a friend borrow one of my old cards (nVidia GeForce 6800, regular version) and he apparently tried to flash the BIOS with one from a 6800 GTO card. Either way, the computer won't boot up (turns on, beeps, nothing ever shows up on the screen).

I have another computer with onboard video. I was wondering if there was a chance I could put the messed up GeForce in the old computer with onboard video, use the onboard video as the display, and manage to flash the BIOS make to it's original version (I already have the correct BIOS ROM downloaded).

I was just making sure if this was a plausible idea, otherwise I really don't know how I can get that card working again. And please, don't flame me about posting about a card that's almost 8 years old, I used this in my mothers computer and I'd just rather flash it back to gow it's supposed to be than just trash it.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated, thanks a lot.

Shinma

Shinma

Check to see if the video card is even correctly detected while in the mobo with onboard.

H

hollowropes

Yeah, that's the main thing I'm worried about. Strange thing though, I can have my onboard sound turned on and have a sound card plugged in and be able to get sound from both sources, that's why I was hoping I could enable the onboard video and still have some sort of access to the PCI-e card (or at least have it detectable). Either way, I guess I'll be trying it out in a bit, I'll respond back with whatever luck I have. Thanks.

H

hollowropes

Okay, here's the deal. I have the PCI-e card plugged into the computer with onboard video, I have the onboard video enabled as well as the PCI-e, so the computer does the usually three beeps (video card error) like normal. I have the floppy drive plugged in with the floppy with nvflash and the correct BIOS file on it, and I can tell that after the video error beeps, it tries to load what's on the floppy drive. I'm wondering if it's getting that far, if I can someone put in some commands while the monitor is black (since the PCI-2 card isn't working), and somehow be able to flash the card back without actually seeing what's happening on the screen? Does that make sense, or am I confused?

I was hoping I could just get to the point where it asks for "A" and I can type "nvflash -3 -4 -5 1.rom" and flash it that way, and hopefully it'll work. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way, but the fact that the floppy drive is responding to commands makes me think that there's a possibility that I can do this. I just don't know which commands come up since I can't see the screen, is there anywhere that has some sort of pictures of how the BIOS looks when you're flashing using nvflash? As long as I know what
s on the sceen and when to press "y", I'm hoping that will work. Anyway, that's the only thing I can think of, hopefully my card isn't dead. Thanks for the replies, any more help is appreciated greatly..

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

Just for clarification-do you have your monitor attached to the on-board video, and if you do is it still giving you a black screen?

H

hollowropes

The monitor is attached to the onboard video outlet, and it's NOT giving me a black screen. The PCI-e card is inthe PCI-e socket and it still beeps when the computer comes on, but the screen comes on and the computer boots up since it's connected to the onboard video. But, when I have the onboard video connected and I got into the BIOS and try to flash the card, it tells me that there's not an nVidia card in the system. That's why I was thinking that since I put the PCI-e in by itself and after the beeps the computers continues to load (blank screen), the bootable floppy can load into DOS and I can run the nvflash program with a blank screen and be able to do it that way.

The floppy drives definitely makes a scanning noise three to fives seconds after the nVidia card beeps, that's why I'm thinking it's continuing to boot into DOS. I just don't know what commands come up and when to type nvflash and everything, when the press "y", etc. It seems like this is my only chance of doing this without having to go out and buy a cheapy PCI card and try to do it that way (which still might not work since it could tell me there's no nVidia card in the system, the same way it does when I try to do it through the onboard). Thanks.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
If you need to blind flash the card, it would be:

nvflash -4 -5 -6 -A -y newbios.rom

I'm assuming that you have a copy of your original 6800 rom.

H

hollowropes

He alrready gave me $30 and explained that he was just trying to "flash my card to something better". All's good and fine thouh, I'm back on my 460 GTX and everything's fine. Thanks for a all the help!

Associates