[RESOLVED] 32bit applications under 64bit windows 7?

G

gazix

Been searching around the internet. But doesn't mention about any performance lags. Just talks about the technical specs of how 32bit apps run in emulation mode.

When I hear the term emulation, always makes me think that process' will run at a huge decreased in performance.

Or is there nothing to worry about since this is not even mentioned?

Only ask because my cousin wants to run autocad and photoshop for a new system I will be building for him. It will be his personal computer as well. So mostly be used for everyday tasks...

Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

Administrator
Most 32 bit apps will run just fine on a 64 bit system... There are actually very few 64 bit applications out there.

G

gazix

Those two programs are the only reason why would go 64bit. It's the compatibility or stability I'm concerned about. Then again, I guess if worse comes to worse, could do a dual boot for 32 and 64...

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
a new system I will be building for him
Are you going to have more than 3GB of RAM? If so, you're going to have to install a 64-bit OS anyway. Try it before you worry about "emulation" performance.

Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
Those two programs are the only reason why would go 64bit. It's the compatibility or stability I'm concerned about. Then again, I guess if worse comes to worse, could do a dual boot for 32 and 64...
Running Windows 7 64bit is an uneventful experience, which is a good thing. It's unlikely you'll ever encounter any issues that are a result of the 64bit nature of the operating system. Most people probably wouldn't even know they're running a 64bit operating system, it's fairly transparent.

Most of your applications will probably be 32bit anyway, typically because most applications would run no better in 64bit.

Running a dual-boot 32/64bit Windows really isn't necessary.

The only thing I can recommend, is don't go overboard trying to make all software on the system 64bit. For example, you can find a rare Firefox version compiled for 64bit, but you'll have more problems than it's worth getting plug-ins working.

When it comes to things like Java, you may need to install both the 32bit and 64bit version (depending on what you're running). Most of the time I've found the 32bit version will suffice, even under Windows 64bit.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

I upgraded to 64 bit. No issues with my programs, and now I can use all of my RAM.

About the only issue I had was with older printers and trying to find drivers for them.

E

ELF2000

I have also had no issues running Windows 7 64bit. I can run all my programs and the only 64bit driver I had to find was for my video card.