Resolution settings

P

Pilen

Hey guys,

I'm having a bit of a problem. As some of you know I have a complete new build with a ATI graphics card instead of Nvidia.

Before the rebuild I had resolution problems with my main screen. In Windows it said that it was using the default and correct value 1680x1050 60Hz which is correct. But the display still complained that it wasnt correct and the text on the screen was kinda blurry.

I solved that problem using nvidias "Custom resolution"

Now when I have ATI that solution no longer works since that option isn't available in control panel.

My question is, is there a 3rd party application that could make custom resolutions?

Display:
Samsung 22" Wide Syncmaster T220,
1680x1050, VGA/DVI, 20000:1, 2ms

Best regards

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

You should not have to create a custom resolution for a common one like 1680x1050. Heck, my ATI X800XT PE from 2004 supports 1680x1050 just fine :confused:

If you have a scaling ratio available in your monitor's menu, take a look to see if it is correct (it should be set to something like 1:1 or Fill)

On the video card side, ensure there is no scaling done by the video card either. To do so, start the Catalyst Control Center, on the top left under Graphics choose Desktops & Displays, then right click on the monitor at the bottom left and choose Configure. From there you can enable/disable scaling (lower resolutions are rescaled to your monitor's native one on your video card instead of the monitor), and you can also try to override your monitor's reported maximum resolution and refresh rate there (should be 1680x1050 @ 60Hz in your case)

Otherwise, you could try Powerstrip to create a custom resolution, but if you had that problem with both an nVidia and ATI card I would almost point towards ac misconfigured or defective monitor. By curiosity, what custom resolution did you create on the nVidia card to make it work ?

P

Pilen

Hey,

I've looked at my monitors settings but can't find anything with Display ratio. The display says that im using 1920x1200 and it says it's the native resolution.

In nvidia I created a resolution of an already existing one, 1680x1050 60Hz and that solved my problem instantly. The monitor never complained about the resolution after that.

I checked CCC and could'nt find any useful settings to fix this problem. I also tried Powerstrip, but either I'm doing it wrong or that program doesn't fix it either.

Probably it's the monitors firmware that's spoofed but I'm tired of doing Samsung RMA's because this would be the third time sending it back to them.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Do you have the monitor driver installed ? If not, it could be worth a try, you can download it here (click on the driver tab) :)

To clarify my last post, the screen you go to has an option at the bottom to tell the videocard what are the maximum specs supported by the monitor in case the monitor reports it wrong. Just uncheck the "Use EDID or drivers defaults" and choose 1680x1050 and 60Hz on the bottom lists. Apply, reboot and try changing your resolution again, 1680x1050 should be available.

(sorry for the horrible text quality, it's with ClearType calibrated for a CRT monitor :p)

Otherwise, at last resort there's a more involved way to force a custom resolution detailed here but it seems more complex and mainly targeted to HDTVs.

P

Pilen

Hey guys, ive tried all that and i checked my EDID and it's wrong. Apperantly this i common and can be fixed by forcing the display to use a custom driver .inf. But that hasnt worked out for me. I tried rewriting the EDID but I couldnt. I'm gonna still try and hopefully i can Solve it without having to RMA it.

Thanks for all the replies.

Associates