Remove ads on the right?

W

weissmertz

are you guy comparing these adds to commercials.are you saying you have to pay 10.00 a month not to have commercials on tv. is that a decent comparison?????????

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
it's basically the same principle. You either live with the ads (aka commercial TV) , or pay not to have them (a la BBC). I realise we don't actually have a choice as to whether we can subscribe to HWC and lose the ads, but I doubt many people would do it anyway.

krupted

krupted

im not meaning get rid of ads, just that damn internet news box on the side. its annoying as all hell and im running 1280x1024.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
But the ad would still be on the side. We put the rss feed and the forums links to fill out the column. The ad can no longer go on top because it isn't a constant length anymore. Some of the ads double and even triple the length of others.

Z

zoom

hardware monkey
the site has just degenerated...and has become so annoying I hardly go here anymore. (used to love this site and the people)

and its great that the people who *own* this site keep walking in the dark trying to believe this is a good thing with the adds and some sort of good/necessasry evil.

for the love of God...go to Ars and Anand and see if they have anything as grotesque as this site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Willz

Willz

Master of Mediocrity
Perhaps they could find a different way to fund this site. One thought is to simply charge a small fee for access to these Forums.

M

mx-6*

JPnyc said:
Well it would make the site much harder to read if they weren't there, since the forum would no longer be up on the web :)

I haven't been to this site in a while but I can't believe the ads take up about 40% of the page now.

Every other site I go to seems to get by fine without taking up almost 1/2 the page for an ad.

It serve the same purpose without irritating everyone if it was put at the bottom of the page IMO.

The CandyMan

The CandyMan

Chocolately LAN Goodness!
Yes the ads on the right are much less intrusive than other boards I frequent, some of which have ads placed by others, and few even contain viruses! I'd recommend staying with it, especially if it helps keep this site up.

On alternative would be members could donate money (through paypal or other means). I've done this on other boards, so it's not an issue for me, but I'm not sure how other members would react. Just one idea.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
mx-6* said:
I haven't been to this site in a while but I can't believe the ads take up about 40% of the page now.

Every other site I go to seems to get by fine without taking up almost 1/2 the page for an ad.

It serve the same purpose without irritating everyone if it was put at the bottom of the page IMO.
No, that wouldn't serve the same purpose at all. If an advertiser pays for a certain position, and you give them another, less desirable position, you soon have lost that advertiser.

pacifier

pacifier

ProArt
remember that only ads keeping HWC alive... without ADS no HWC...(let's accept it)

just positioned it in a good place :)

Last edited:
The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Yup. And if they get any bigger we MAY even have room left for a forum. Keep things going this way and you'll have nothing but ads. And if you do that there will be no HWC forums. Then, what good will the ads do?? No one will pay for an ad with no hits on the site.

Associates