Remove ads on the right?

gary_hend

gary_hend

Hi guys

Just a general feedback on the site. Hope you guys don't mind. I find that the advertisements on the right of this forum make it very difficult to read. I prefer that you remove those ads. Seriously.

It'll make this forum a much better experience for all of use. Just my suggestion. :eek:

W

woodman19_99

Grand Exalted Puba
Ah, I believe this suggestion was tackled previously. Believe me, I would be much happier if they were removed as well, but I believe they are a good source of income to keep this site up and running. Nobody really likes ads that much, but unfortunately I think we all just have to put up with them...

I believe someone with more clout can excplain this better though...

gary_hend

gary_hend

Sorry if I did intrude on this by asking such a question. But I've indeed seen many of your competitor sites but they do not have such 'intruding' ads. What I mean (and I'm not trying to suggest that you redesign your site) is that one can include those ads in a different location? I mean, let's be frank - this forum software is best viewed when it fills the whole screen isn't it?

And I don't mean to be rude to the sponsors too ... is it Jupitermedia? what I'm trying to say is that filling up the entire right side of the screen will drive visitors away from the board.

I can tell you a story - I visited Anandtech's website and I can't stand the site's confusing forum layout. All sorts of topics, in similar looking fonts, all over the place. Confusion. Confusion. Confusion.

That's why I decided to jump to hardwarecentral coz I thought your board is a lot more user friendly and the forum has a few, simple, easy to understand sub topics.

I can tell you guys I'm a very avid forum poster, when it comes to areas of my interest. I can sit down here and post and post and post. But I really appreciat e it when a board has a nice layout and well design structure.

I guess we all have limits somewhere. If the website is sponsored, the sponsor would then have certain guidelines as to how or where the advertisement placements should be. And if I were you, I'd follow it too.

Just thinking that if I had free control of my fate, I would give a forum that's totally free of design constraints and able to give user's the best forum and interaction experience they deserve.

Hope I make some sense here, and please don't mind my rabbling :p

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
There's nothing wrong with a little rabbling, but woodman is right ... as a publicly traded company, Jupitermedia finances its sites and forums by selling ad space on them.

>>If the website is sponsored, the sponsor would then have certain guidelines as to how or where the advertisement placements should be. And if I were you, I'd follow it too.

You're right, in that ad layouts change every so often, though available positions and guidelines are planned by us and offered to, not dictated by, sponsors. Currently, we're renting a right-hand column (sometimes thinner, sometimes fatter up to the maximum 1/3-of-XGA you see today) instead of other possibilities, such as both sides or full-width interstitials, as the best compromise between revenue and readability.

Every user has a different opinion of every site, liking what others find confusing or vice versa (though other forums' posters, of course, can only wish they had the savvy and spirit of HardwareCentral's :D). Some sites have fewer ads; some have more, such as pop-up ads or those underlined links with pop-up Post-Its on various words sprinkled throughout articles. (We don't permit pop-ups in the usual sense of ads that suddenly appear over editorial text or surprise you with audio, though we sometimes sell banners that expand when a user initiates it by clicking or mousing over them.) It's always a mixed blessing, but it makes the forum possible.

>>Just thinking that if I had free control of my fate, I would give a forum that's totally free of design constraints

And indeed you could, if it was a blog with no advertising. :) As is, we try to do the best we can, and always welcome suggestions and feedback (i.e., this forum).

Thanks for reading,
Eric

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Well it would make the site much harder to read if they weren't there, since the forum would no longer be up on the web :)

Ponch

Ponch

I pay for excessive Mehabytes and I notice I downloaded 2 MB reading 3 pages at HWC ! This is not funny. Even with 19", the add is still too big and on a very bad place.

krupted

krupted

they should put the ads on top. make you scroll through them. yeah it still would **** but at least the actual forum will be used like it should be. right now its like reading a newspaper

d94

d94

i agree
im a member on many other forums and they have adds @ the top..thats where i like em! from what iv heard if you have firefox you can set it up to block adds

M

Martin_89

they used to be up the top the past couple of years before they upgraded to the new forum software, then it changed. i hated them at first but ive got used to them now and hardly notice them.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
There's only 1 ad on the right folks. The other things are items we hoped would be of some interest to some.

W

woodman19_99

Grand Exalted Puba
Yeah, it's really not that bad. I would rather put up with one CDW-G ad and be able to have Hardwarecentral than no ads and no forum. Gotta pay the bills somehow!

W

weissmertz

yeah, i dont know if it qualifies as a pop up but an ad sometimes comes up in the middle of the page when i first get on i forget what it is but if it comes up again ill check it out i usually immediatly x it out

W

weissmertz

thats a good possibility i havent read it yet but next time it comes uop i will let you know!

Kruz

Kruz

Parrot Head
I think you should fill the entire screen with adds.... then when there is no one left to see them they will go away :rolleyes:

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
I'm with Martin on this one, hated the new ad layout at first, but I don't notice it now. Unfortuntely ads are a necessary evil. The alternative is no more palatable, just ask anyone living in the UK. We have to pay £10 a month for a licence just to own a television, because it's capable of receiving BBC channels (regardless of whether you even watch the BBC).

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
Yeah - used to hate the ones down the side, but you get used to them and really they're not too bad. I'm running the site on a 1024x768 monitor (yes I know I need to upgrade), but don't really notice them now. With a bigger monitor, they would take up very little space. I think we used to have ads at the top too, but they've been gone for a good few months.

M

Martin_89

As Danny said we have to pay to own a TV, but it is worth while when you get a TV program on BBC such as TopGear and you don’t get any ads to annoy you.

Like I said above I hardly even notice their there anymore.

Associates