Really Need HE L P... CMOS Checksum Error - Defaults Loaded™

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
I can't get my computer to boot up. Right after switching it on, I get this error and nothing else on the keyboard works.

CMOS Checksum Error - Defaults Loaded

What in the world does that mean? It happens after detecting processor, RAM, then IDE Devices and then this error comes up.

I've cleared the CMOS a hundred times and tried turning on the computer with pins 1 and 2 shorted, 2 and 3 shorted and then finally, with no jumper at all. I get the same results every time.

The motherboard is an Abit KT7A NON-RAID and the processor on it is an AMD Thunderbird 1.4GHz.

I have no idea what to do and have never experienced this before. Can someone please tell me what's going on?

Right after I get this error, nothing in the keyboard will respond to anything. Even hitting delete and F1 doesn't work. Nothing works. I can't get into the BIOS at all! This is so frustrating.

I really want this thing to switch on tonight.

Thanks so much.

------------------
It Is Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer

[This message has been edited by Toolbox (edited 08-28-2001).]

Shinma

Shinma

Short version,
CMOS Checksum Error:

Refers to corrupted values of the CMOS settings, the ones you set through the BIOS setup program. This error means the contents of the BIOS code itself are damaged.

Detailed version,
CMOS checksum errors

Explanation: A checksum is computed as an error-detecting code, to protect the BIOS settings stored in the CMOS memory. Each time the system is booted this number is recomputed and checked against the stored value. If they do not match, an error message is generated to tell you that the CMOS memory contents may have been corrupted and therefore some settings may be wrong. BIOSes react in different ways to encountering this sort of error. Some will warn the user and then continue on with whatever settings were in the CMOS. Others will assume that the settings that were in the CMOS were corrupted and will load default values stored in the BIOS chip "for safety reasons". The error message will indicate which your system is doing.

Diagnosis: The most common cause of checksum errors in CMOS is a battery that is losing power. Viruses can also affect CMOS settings, and motherboard problems can also affect the stored values.

Recommendation: Typically, replace the CMOS battery. You should make sure that all of the BIOS settings in the system are correct, by rebooting the system, going into BIOS setup and double-checking all the values (hopefully against a recent BIOS settings backup).

------------------
"I know nothing."
Cheers.

[This message has been edited by Shinma (edited 08-28-2001).]

ris

ris

super moderator
hey tm man!
pauls kt7 faq report this as follows:

When I boot the BIOS all it says is "BIOS checksum error, press F1 to continue...".
What should I do?
Hit the Delete key to enter BIOS setup and then select the correct CPU type in the SoftMenu III screen.

This has also been reported as an error message when an ISA card has been overclocked or damaged. Try removing any ISA card installed.

Note that companies such as BadFlash exist, who will reprogram your BIOS chip for a modest fee. Alternatively contact Abit directly who again will sell you a new BIOS chip for a similar cost.

To prevent these problems in the future you may wish to consider using a BIOS Saviour.

you could try resetting the bios with the cmos jumper, clock battery or insert key on start-up.

can you get into the bios at all?

hope that's of some help dude

------------------
all you are crashes are belong to windows

Maxout

Maxout

Turn off power, disconnect ATX cable from Mobo, clear CMOS, take out battery for a few minutes, return CMOS jumper to run position, reinstall battery, reconnect power cable, power up and try to boot.

------------------
If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

Shinma

Shinma

Did not realize that both the mobo and the processor was new, as you posted on the post.
Thought you had the mobo for a while with current BIOS.
AriciU_of_KoF brought up a point at the other post that was overlooked as a result.
The BIOS verson being used.
The Abit KT7A does not support the 1.4GHz processors without the KT73R version.

------------------
"I know nothing."
Cheers.

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
I've given up on this board and will bring it back to the shop on Thursday. The keyboard doesn't even light up when you first boot the computer so I think there is something wrong there.

I also went to a friends house and connected his Duron 700 and that didn't help out at all either. I think the board is really bad. I can't even get the board to read the floppy drive so updating the BIOS is impossible.

No ris... I can't even get to the BIOS at all. The minute I get that checksum error, the only thing I can do from the point is to reset the computer or switch it off completely. Nothing else works.

Thanks for all the replies and if I feel like it, I will again try some of your suggestions.

ris

ris

super moderator
good luck with the next one toolbox, sounds like you lucked out there

------------------
all you are crashes are belong to windows

C

Chairman Mao

are you going Abit again Toolbox?

I'd wait a bit for the Asus A7V266, unless you guys get it there quicker...or even the new Epox boards, which have been getting rave reviews.

------------------
...everyone should taste a little bitterness in their lives....

S

spacecookie

This sometimes works gently take the BIOS chip out and then placing it back in making sure it is seated all the way down.

------------------
T-Bird [email protected], Alpha PEP66 W/Delta 38 cfm fan,ABIT KT7A-RAID , Geforce 2 MX 220/185, 512Megs PC166 CAS 2 Ram, 2 X 45G 75 GXP, Creative 52x CD-ROM, SB Live Value, DFE 10/100 Nick, Windows2KPRO, Logitech ifeel mouseman, @home cable 3200/1400

rangeral

rangeral

Our Friend
Tool your not alone I went thru some bs with my abit even tried a new one and went back to the old one flashed to 3r which moves very fast but still thinking about trying an Iwill instead since I can't use 2 optical drives in ide2 but this is the only board that will work with my gladiator hs/f which has a molex plug and no 3pin with it, new board wouldn't go without a 3pin but temps were too high with the jimmy rigged hs/f I tried and you can't just go out and get a 3pin adapter around here.

abit's are a bitch to find a decent working board.

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
Yup... I'm going to try and get the same motherboard and make it work. I like everything about this motherboard and will keep trying until I get it right.

I feel the same way about the Abit BE6-II, even when I realised that IBM 60GXP's won't work with it. At that point, I figured that IBM Hard Drives weren't that good after all

G

Grimlock

Toolbox, had the same problem. A while back my CPU cracked and I had to send for a replacement. It took about 2 weeks and the system was fine when I was took it out. When I put the new CPU in I got that same message. Reset CMOS, BIOS, and nothing worked. Only one that did was returing it to Abit for a replacement. So far this one has been trouble free.

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
That's light at the end of the tunnel for me. I'm bringing this to the shop (chip and motherboard) and I will sit it out there with them until they can figure it out themselves.

Thanks buddy.

Associates