Ready for a NEW FSAA Debate?

Linda's verbal backstop
Ok my friends, let the new debate begin.
Protect your loved ones!

3dfx announced that the V5 6000 will ship with:

8x FSAA.

This could get ugly.

I saw that one of their PR reps confirmed it is POSSIBLE with the VSA-100 after rumors of some guy reg hacking a 5500 to 8x. Are you sure they officially said it will INCLUDED?

I really don't know why they would bother. 4X RGSS FSAA looks pretty damned good. I can't imagine the performance hit of 8x being worth a minimal increase in quality. I suppose if support is always there it can't hurt to enable it.

Eh, maybe it'd look slightly better on games with very small polygons at great distances. I would imagine most gamers would choose 4X FSAA at 1024x768x16 (maybe 32bit) getting a steady 60 fps instead of a only microscopically better looking 35 fps at 8X.

I'm very curious as to how the subsamples are taken. 4x2? 3x3 without the middle sample? I'm guessing a sort of 4x2, two 4 sample rotated grids side by side, horizontally scaled to cram them all in. Or the same thing, but rotated another 90 deg for a vertical type orientation. Hmmmm.

BP6, Celermine [email protected], 320meg, CL TNT2U 175/220

Personally I'd say 3DFX's 4x FSAA is already pretty good. Above that, it gets to a point of diminishing returns. I mean, ok, 8x would probably be slightly better, but I'll take a higher resolution at 4xFSAA instead. Now I'm running most stuff at 800x600 4xFSAA. Methinks I'll bump it to 1024x768 at 4xFSAA.

I personaly take high ass res over FSAA anyday of the year and in 32 bit color!
Alex D

WTF?? I am just trying to help OK!

why does the geforce 2 FSAA supposed 2 be so crap?

Thank you for booting windows for the first time "Error, This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shutdown"

the FSAA sucks in GF family because the FSAA is done by software hack, while 3Dfx did it by hardware, and hardware's always faster than software.

i hope nvidia supports hardware FSAA in nextgen GPUs

When they come out they'll be lots of benchmarks, if it's fast now IT'S MINE!!!

AMD Thunderbird 900mhz
Asus A7V KT133 chipset w/ 196MB SDRAM (had 256 but a 64 blew up)
SB Live! X-Gamer
POS Diamond Viper 550 (will upgrade soon so don't flame me)
Maxtor 20.1GB 7200RPM HD