Radeon SUCKS!!!

AUDSCOTT

AUDSCOTT

Went to Frys hardware....They have a deal on the 32 MB DDR Radeon, $190 less $50.00 MIR.

Came home, deleted every trace of my lovely GeForce drivers - rebooted, ATI drivers won't install.

I have (had) DX8 beta, so figure that's problem....use uninstaller, reboot (you know I would, try again. uhuh.

Installed DX7...OK, now we're geting somewhere. Driver loads, boot - locks up solid.

Back to safe mode, fiddle with driver settings, reboot. Crap, locks up.

Take out ATI drivers, load GeForce - I'm back in heaven.

Never again ATI.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, but I should have known better. I went to ATI's web site before loading, looking for latest & greatest Radeon drivers. Nooooooo, there on the CD...you know what that means - they're already obsolete.

One mans Radeon experience.

------------------
Scott

Baloneyflaps

Baloneyflaps

Super Moderator
It seems ATI has figured out how to make good hardware, now they need to contract a company to make some drivers for them.

ATI has never had a clue.

AUDSCOTT

AUDSCOTT

Well, after dinking around I come up with a solution....

Decreasing AGP from 4X to 2X and decreasing the performance graphic accelorator has given me a much disappointing look at the Radeon.

This one's going back for sure.

------------------
Scott

R

RAMmyBUS

AGP 4x doesn't DO anything over AGP 2x... at least nothing noticeable. I thought that was common knowledge?
-ram

AUDSCOTT

AUDSCOTT

True, but it's not just the AGP factor...having to manually decrease the graphics performance, picky drivers & crappy overall performance.

More than just the AGP selection...

------------------
Scott

M

marmetsofthelands

Radeon doesnt suck.
i have one it rules but it does have problems with certain chipsets and if it doesnt work then dont mess with it and keep geforce i dont really see why people with geforce go to radeon anyway they're almost the same speed anyway i mean i went from voodoo3 to radeon and i noticed big difference in fps but i woulda done the same with the geforce
and if you want the newest radeon drivers never look at ati's site they never update go to rage3d or go to Vr-Zone's hardware forum in the patches and drivers section and watch for driver updates. I know i have seen at least i think 3 driver updates for the radeon and one has a fix for the chipset problem
just wish ati would stop being dumbasses and post driver updates on their freakin site

A

AlbinoPenguin

I have a Radeon 64MB VIVO. No probs at all and has better looking video than my GeForce2.

------------------
AMD Athlon [email protected], 1.85v on an Abit KA7-100
Antec full tower case w/ 300W P/S
ATi 64MB Radeon w/VIVO & an ATi All-in-wonder Pro 8MB
Sound Blaster Live! Platinum w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.04 THX Speakers
Pioneer 10X DVD-ROM & a Ricoh 8X/4X/32X CD-RW
IBM 34.2GB 7200RPM hard drive
256MB Crucial PC-133 RAM
Lots of air cooling

Hail Styrofoam!

I fully support A Nudist's Dream

O

outside looking in

Bah. Erm... Eh? Bleh!
Take the card back and stop bitching. You've already made up your mind... or are you having second thoughts after seeing the beautiful graphics??

------------------
Those who fear the facts will forever try to discredit the fact finders. - Daniel C. Dennett

AUDSCOTT

AUDSCOTT

Second thoughts!!

It sucked, no bitchin' just fact.

If You're satisfied with the card, then good for you, but the combo of a crap card & crap support...I should have known better, but what ta' hell, was worth a try.

------------------
Scott

P

PlunX

Try this, Audscott..

Download the newest version of DirectX you can (even if you have the newest version). Download the newest Radeon drivers. Download the AGP VxD driver for your motherboard.

Remove the Radeon driver (along with any other video drivers you may have on your system). Restart the computer and go into your BIOS and make sure that "AGP 4X" is disabled. Go into Safe Mode. Double click on the AGP VxD driver extraction program and select "Uninstall AGP VxD Driver" or whatever it says (should say "Install in Turbo Mode, Install in Standard Mode, and Uninstall VxD Driver). After this, reset and go back into regular mode.

Make sure that Windows doesn't load the Radeon drivers automatically (in other words, be in Windows without any display drivers). Try to install DirectX (it might say that you already have the newest version after it extracted files, but that's okay; the extracted files aren't cleaned up off of the system and that's one of the things that's causing these problems). Even if it says that you didn't have to install it, it might ask you to reset anyway. DON'T RESET. Now load the Radeon drivers.

After the Radeon drivers are loaded and you're back in Windows, try to install DirectX one more time exactly like before. It'll probably tell you to restart again, so go ahead and do that.

That's exactly what I did and I'm having no problems whatsoever anymore (before, all of my games would freeze and Windows would also freeze after running for about an hour).

AUDSCOTT

AUDSCOTT

Thanks PlunX,

Very clear & concise instructions.

Once again, sorry to all who were offended.

------------------
Scott

A

AthlonOverclocker

So it's working now then?!? What's the performance and picture quality like compared to the Geforce if it is?

AUDSCOTT

AUDSCOTT

I thinking what's the point....I bought the card for another system I building for a friend, but they know squat about computers.

I don't want them callin gme in two weeks cause the computer (card) is acting up.

Figure I'll go GeForce 2 MX because I have had nothing but good experiences with Geforce DDR & GTS.

I'm sorry to rag on you folks, but after hearing so much positive abouth the card I thought it would be a nice enhancement...but at what cost. I'm not going to ruin my system just to get a look & sure don't want my friends to have problems after they get the machine so I have to go running to fix it.

------------------
Scott

M

miha76

GeForce SUCKS, every f*****g version, 1, GTS, MX.

That is my expirience with GeForce and nVIDIA, I really do hate them.

Sorry if I offended enyone, just the facts from my point of view.
... really no joke.

I don`t have ATI RADEON

------------------
The worst system is not the one that has slowest QIII frame rate, but one that not works corectly.

A

AlbinoPenguin

nVidia sucks.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

------------------
AMD Athlon [email protected], 1.85v on an Abit KA7-100
Antec full tower case w/ 300W P/S
ATi 64MB Radeon w/VIVO & an ATi All-in-wonder Pro 8MB
Sound Blaster Live! Platinum w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.04 THX Speakers
Pioneer 10X DVD-ROM & a Ricoh 8X/4X/32X CD-RW
IBM 34.2GB 7200RPM hard drive
256MB Crucial PC-133 RAM
Lots of air cooling

Hail Styrofoam!

I fully support A Nudist's Dream

M

marmetsofthelands

well hell since nvidia suxs
and so does ati radeon
i guess 3dfx and matrox do to
i guess all video cards sux
oh well
so anyone out there with anykind of video card it sux and sorry if i offended somebody

------------------
If everyone saw the world through my eyes, would that make me....God?

F

Freon

Really, I think you should reinstall Windows when you install a new video card. This is a Windows PC afterall. I say everyone should reformat every 6 or 12 months, too.

I actually had a problem upgrading from a TNT2 Ultra to a Geforce DDR. Even though I 'wiped all traces' included registry entries, nv*.* from c:/ it still screwed up. It was stuck in PCI mode with horrid performance. Deltree /windows and a reinstall worked though.

Before you say how awesome the Radeon's image quality is, remember those horrid 16bit artifacts. I think they'll have to take care of that before I'll buy a Radeon, although I am eyeing up the 32mb DDR.

[This message has been edited by Freon (edited 10-20-2000).]

AUDSCOTT

AUDSCOTT

LOL!!

Now that I've had a chance to think about it and see some good responses as well as PlunX's very thoughtful & useful post, I know I am in the wrong, not hard for me to admit.

I don't usually say or post the first thing that comes to mind, but I did this time.

Can't say I'm sorry (only if I offended someone - lol), but I'm wrong.

Don't have card working yet, but I'll have to make some changes over weekend so the OS environment is good for the card, rather than poluted with 10 months of crap.

------------------
Scott

Associates