R5400 Mount

A

alexBB

Hi there,

I got my long awaited Dell R5400 rack Mount Workstation yesterday. When I opened the box I was quickly impressed by the very industrial look of the two socket unit. It is heavy like hell. The major trouble is that no stand came with it. I had it in mind when I talked to the salesperson to ask about the stand but forgot.. A stand was shown in the picture and I assumed it was included in the package.

So, now I have to lean the 2U box to my desk for a while. It stands almost vertically with fan exhaust openings looking up. So far I haven't plugged it in rearranging my other hardware. Will do it tomorrow morning.

I am thinking about buying a small 6U rack enclosure to house this 2U W/S. I also have a 4U server case but no MB in it or drives. I've been planning to fill it with some meat later. I can move this 4U server into the same enclosure.

I checked the web and found only one 6U cage but the depth appearws to be too shallow. The W/S is 17.5 in wide and 27 in deep. My server is at eh office but I am pretty sure it is at least 27 or perhaps more. I will have to check. If the sizes fit, I will want to get one 6U enclosure for that.

Do you know of any source where they have close to custom selection of such products?

Thanks.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Rackmount servers don't come with stands. What picture are you talking about? The only thing I saw with a stand was the FX100 console.

Racks are a standard size, but you need to make sure the hole type matches up:
http://www.dell.com/content/product...station_precision_r5400?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

We buy our stuff through a local vendor, so I'm not sure which online stores are reputable. Shipping racks can be crazy $$$, which is why we shop local.

A

alexBB

Thanks Midknyte. I am on the phone with Dell. They preloaded wrong OS: Home Basic - Home Premium for my R5400 instead of Ultimate 64 I ordered. The reinstall DVD is the correct one, though.

What is the local vendor you order the rack enclosures? I got interested. I found a firm in CA, they have a 6U unit I may want but this thing perhaps will weight half a ton because it has special noise reduction, etc features. I am in Michigan. Do you know of anybody here who may have this stuff?

Thanks.

A

alexBB

As far as the stand goes, it is the one in the middle. I spoke with a salesperson at Dell and he explained to me that it was just a motto or something. That middle thing which rotates does have nothing to do with the rackmount. In my naivite I assumed it was supposed to come in the pack.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
My location must remain a secret. ;)

I'm nowhere near where you are, anyway. Sorry.

Associates