quit, fast cd-roms

D

dega

does anyone know of any cheap, fast, but QUIET CD-Roms? my friend just bought one, and it sounds like a damn aircraft taking off, annoying as hell. so i'm lookin for one that has all the good characteristics. I'm open to dvds as well, i still don't know if i should just get a dvd, or get one later, when games will actually be out on dvd
thanx

D

David P

Well, the TrueX CD-ROM's by Kenwood (Hi-Val too, I think) are quite and the fastest ones out there. HWC has a couple of good reviews on them. They're not cheap, but they are quiet and speedy.

------------------
David Peters, CE
Milwaukee School of Engineering
"If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."

R

Rich3077

I had a HI-VAL and had bad luck with it.
Noisy, vibrated.. and often caused my CD programs to hang. It was a 40 speed I think.
I may have just gotten a bad one.
So far my current DVD rom drive (Memorex ) is the best drive I have ever had, and even though I dont watch movies on my puter I will stick to DVD drives. Nice smooth.. no program hangs. I do have this pesky little problem with the drivers.. but I will save that one for another time

------------------
Puter junkie in training

G

gbiddle

I have a A-Open 36x that is real smooth and quiet. Supports DAE and is a multi read. Like it real well.

D

dega

gbiddle, how much did it cost? i don't really feel like payin a ton of money for one right now.

G

gbiddle

Associates