Question about notebook video cards

Headst1r

Headst1r

I was looking into getting a laptop and saw this compaq with an ATI radeon mobility with 64 megs of shared ram. Is this better than the ati radeon 7500 with 32 megs or a geforce4 go 420 with 16 megs of ram?

V

venom650_19

100% Hard-Core Gamer
Yes.

The 64MB of onboard video is certainly better than 16MB or 32MB. I cant remember offhand, but its Radeon 9000???

I would definitely say go for it, that would be pretty good for gaming if thats the intention.

Headst1r

Headst1r

Actually no, it doesn't say it is a 9000, it just says ATI mobility with 64 megs of ddr ram (shared). It is also a compaq..so I'm not too sure it is a great notebook.

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
Unless it says Radeon somewhere in the description, then it's using the old Mobility chip and not any of the Radeon Mobility chips and thus is slower. The fastest laptop video chip is the Geforce4 Ti4200 based one. It's not quite as fast as the desktop Ti4200, but it's miles ahead of any other notebook video solution, at least until ATi makes a Mobility 9500 or 9600.

Headst1r

Headst1r

How is the ati radeon 9000 mobility card? They have a 32 meg in one of the dells I was looking at.

Headst1r

Headst1r

Here is what the description says for the card in the compaq..Any idea what it is?
ATI Mobility RADEON 4X AGP 3D graphics; 64MB shared DDR video memory; S-video TV-out