purevideo required?

drzaius2

drzaius2

Help Computa
i have an nvidia integrated graphics, 6150 in my htpc and although it looks very nice as is i'm not sure what the purevideo would have to offer.

does purevideo enhance it even further? or it just needed for HD decoding?

does ATI have a similar product? or does it's AVIVO stuff just work through drivers?

A

Advanced-Morgan-Duron

your fadda
purevideo suppose to gives you more color vibrance and better contrast looking picture. Sorta gives you the feeling of wet-look of the image, which is more pleasing to the eyes.

But after carefully reviewing both nVidia GeForce Go 7400 and ATi x800XT video cards I like the IQ generated by the ATi better. It has more deeper geniune tone of the colors though not as vibrant as the nVidia purevision card but still comes very close.

Bottom line based on my opinion:

- nVidia Purevision: Cheap-looking picture, but vibrant and colorful. A little issue with color saturation. But very lively colors and clean look.

- ATi chip x800XT: Better and deeper color tones(especially at higher resolutions). Natural and great quality of the colors. Not as vibrant and not as wet-looking as the nVidia.

drzaius2

drzaius2

Help Computa
in know for games people say ATI looks better, but i mean for video play back. i suppose i should have mentioned that. as far as i knew purevideo only applied to video playback and not games.

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
Purevideo (that you buy) is a DVD decoder. It will enhance DVD playback provided that it is the default DVD decoder. The codec has nothing to do with games, unless the game has movies in MPEG2 format with the appropriate extension. It can also do Dolby DTS/Digital passthru to a receiver.

Purevideo as a featureset is part of the Gefore 6xxx/7xxx series cards. Many of the features are 'unlocked' for DVD playback when you use the Purevideo decoder. nVidia is supposed to be making the decoder free shortly. Other features that you don't have to pay for that are a part of Purevideo are the acceleration of HD WMV and H.264 videos with the proper player (Windows Media Player and/or PowerDVD).

drzaius2

drzaius2

Help Computa
so it's kinda like using nvidia's purevideo dvd decoder rather then say powerdvd. purevideo uses nvidia hardware better to make things prettier. so would it do anything for playback of tv that i record with windows media 2005?

back to ATI's AVIVO, what does that do out of the box?

krupted

krupted

it just means it can accept an incomming video signal. audio video in, video out or something like that.

i would just use dscaler for now. its free and has great quality for mce2005 tv.

and after that, this discussion wont be needed. vista's media center seems to include a decoder, and the quality is best ive seen yet. vista is looking damn good in my eyes, and ive only played with it for a weekend.

drzaius2

drzaius2

Help Computa
i agree media 2005 is pretty good as is. especially considering i just have normal cable.

do you have a link to that dscaler program?

yes once vista comes out i would like to get it.

drzaius2

drzaius2

Help Computa
oh. i remember what else i was going to ask.

so with media 2005, what would be the benefit of getting an ATI AVIVO card then? does it require any extra software?

krupted

krupted

an avivo card basically just adds video input, it doesnt mean much for media center.

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
krupted said:
an avivo card basically just adds video input, it doesnt mean much for media center.
No, that's VIVO-> video input, video output. This is AVIVO. AVIVO relies on pixel shaders for its processing whereas Purevideo relies on a hardware section of the GPU that is semi-programmable and relies on the speed of the GPU to maintain performance at high resolutions. A 6600GT is technically faster at Purevideo acceleration than a 7900GT because the 6600GT is clocked higher; even though it's much slower in 3D apps. Unlike nVidia, ATi intentionally locks out features of AVIVO on its lower end cards so as to encourage you to buy the flagship card for the best video processing at high resolutions.

drzaius2

drzaius2

Help Computa
so. if i stick with nvidia i need an nvida card (higher clock the better) and this purevideo software. where as with ati i just need a x1000 series card (higher the better).

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
A 7600GT IMO is the best price/performance card for video playback. It has full Purevideo support, high clocks and will support up to 1080p for acceleration. You could get the MSI version with the HDMI output and you will have a Vista-ready system capable of playing Blu-Ray and HD-DVD content when it becomes mainstream.

A

Advanced-Morgan-Duron

your fadda
drzaius2 said:
in know for games people say ATI looks better, but i mean for video play back. i suppose i should have mentioned that. as far as i knew purevideo only applied to video playback and not games.
huh?.. I was talking about video playback, not in games. I have no interest in playing games.

Last edited:
krupted

krupted

wrathchild_67 said:
and you will have a Vista-ready system capable of playing Blu-Ray and HD-DVD content when it becomes mainstream.
thats an *if* and to me a big if.

dman777

dman777

Dude...DOn't get a 7600GT just yet! It is a better deal for the money, but at the moment all the new drivers(9x.xx) have this bug for certin Nvidia cards, and mine being one of them(a 7600GT). It doesn't read the DVD ratio correctly and stretches the movies vertically. It really ****s and it's been 4 releases and they haven't fixed it. Without the bugs, I think Nvidia and PureVideo look excellent..although the color is a tad bit artificial looking. But the wet-look and the vibrance of the color as described in the other thread are true and look awsome. But on the downside, this bug in the driver for 7600gt makes it to where it's not worth watching movies with the improper DVD ratio. And to make things worse the 8x.xx drivers, which do not have that bug, do not put out nearly as good as a pic as the new drivers do. I am thinking about selling mine and going with Avivo if things don't change soon.

UPDATE: I bought an ATI card and tried it and it ****ed. I took it back the same day and I now like my 7600GT alot more.

Last edited:

Associates