problems finding approved DDR4 for ASUS mobo

L

lmfbr

I want to build a new rig on the ASUS ROG Maximus VII Formula mobo. I found and downloaded the manual for it. I am concerned that, if I buy RAM that is not on their approved list, it will fail and they will tell me I didn't follow their instructions. I have seen such replies when reading user reviews concerning ASUS. There is a long list of RAM in the manual, but I can't find any of it. When I find DDR4 at Newegg or Amazon, I look and don't see it in the manual. If I had a choice, I would install 2 8GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance LPX. ASUS lists lots of Corsair, but no LPX. The listed RAM is XMP.

Advice? Should I take a chance and buy the RAM I want, or keep looking for approved RAM?

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

First, I assume you mean the VIII Formula and not VII, as the latter runs DDR3 ;)

Usually memory QVL in the manuals are often outdated (even online they don't always do manual revisions, and if they do they might not update the QVL).
There's a separate QVL on Asus's site here and it seems to list the first few digits of the SN of your memory (CMK64GX4M8A), so even if they did not test exactly the same kit as the one you want it should be fine. XMP probably just means it was tested to run correctly with the RAM's XMP profile.

Also, RAM manufacturers often have compatible motherboards lists of their own, or search tools/wizards to see if a given kit is suggested.
In your case, Corsair has a Memory Finder tool and the Vengeance LPX kits appears as the first result for your motherboard so I guess you won't have a problem :)

Last edited:
L

lmfbr

Now having a SATA controller problem

First, I assume you mean the VIII Formula and not VII, as the latter runs DDR3 ;)

Usually memory QVL in the manuals are often outdated (even online they don't always do manual revisions, and if they do they might not update the QVL).
There's a separate QVL on Asus's site here and it seems to list the first few digits of the SN of your memory (CMK64GX4M8A), so even if they did not test exactly the same kit as the one you want it should be fine. XMP probably just means it was tested to run correctly with the RAM's XMP profile.

Also, RAM manufacturers often have compatible motherboards lists of their own, or search tools/wizards to see if a given kit is suggested.
In your case, Corsair has a Memory Finder tool and the Vengeance LPX kits appears as the first result for your motherboard so I guess you won't have a problem :)
equinoxe3d - Thank you. I didn't see your reply for a while. I assumed there would not be any replies.

I think I will simply buy the Corsair Vengence and assume it will be okay.

I logged in just now to ask a new question. In preparation for the new build, I moved the guts of my old computer to a different case, to free up the better case. Now, my mobo will only allow me to use 6 total drives. Before I moved it, I had 6 SATA HDs (one is a SSD), 1 SATA BluRay R/W and one SATA DVD ROM attached. Everything worked fine for 3 years, with various versions of Windows. I did not move the two optical drives, since there is a DVD R/W in the destination case.

The problem:
Now I can only use 6 total drives. Naturally, I would like to use the 6 HDs and the 1 optical. If I connect them all, the mobo drops the SSD and will not boot. I can disconnect the optical and boot fine. I can disconnect a different drive and also boot. So, the question is how to make the mobo use the 7 drives?

mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Win 10
Haswell i7
16GB RAM

The SSD is a Samsung 840 Pro

Intel Z87 -- 6 ports supported -- connected to the 6 HDs
Marvell 88SE9230 -- 4 ports supported -- connected to the optical drive.

Any ideas? I have struggled with the BIOS/UEFI for several hours and have run out of ideas.

L

lmfbr

After hours of trying, I finally solved the problem with the non-responding optical drive. I initially connected it to the Marvell controller. It took a long time to realize that I should try it with the Intel controller. When I finally made that simple change, the optical drive ran perfectly.

Associates