Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device

G

ggalv

Sometimes when I try to diconnect my external drive, using the green arrow to Safely Remove Hardware in Windows XP, I get the following message: The device 'Generic Volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later.

If I try later, then I am able to disconnet fine.

Do you guys know why this happens and can I do something to prevent this from happening.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
That usually means an app or service is accessing the drive. You might have open files or something else working in the background.

G

ggalv

I had all my files closed. I also didn't have any programs open.

When it happened today, I had copied some pictures into the drive (not that many, about 60 MB worth). Also, when I finished copying the pictures, I waited a little while before trying to disconnet the drive. Do you think this action, had something to do with no being able to disconnect?

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
There is some caching between your system and the USB drive, so that's probably what happened. Totally normal. That warning message is there so that you don't corrupt your files.

Technoplume

Technoplume

I think this is a normal error message also. Like the error message for deleting files, windows prevent you from deleting them when there cache so that explorer does not crash. It's frustrating but it's probably a good thing to save your file integrity and have a better OS life.

Associates