Pro Race Driver unofficial demo out. Get it now!

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
Get it here or here. It comes in at about 63MB. The demo is about 60% along according to the first screen, and offers only one level and one car. I was a little disappointed with the graphics as they don't look nearly as good as any of the pics I've seen of the game, but I suppose they could redeem themselves with the remaining 40%. It also runs fairly choppy at some points.

If you're installing this in Win2k/XP, I suggest running the game in the Win98 compatibility layer. Once you install it and configure it, do not set the Graphics Detail option to the highest quality- the game will crash everytime. It works fine at one notch below the highest setting though.

------------------
Sir, are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

[This message has been edited by wrathchild_67 (edited 05-05-2002).]

MuFu

MuFu

Yeah, just to re-itereate that's it's a very, very early demo. Been playing it for a few days now. The handling is very unrealistic and the code needs a lot of work. I'd say its beta-demo stage; it was originally leaked to a magazine for early evaluation purposes.

It's almost totally incompatible with a Radeon 8500 too. I get huge rendering errors on the car models and it rarely breaks 10fps at 1024x768x32. Setting it higher that medium detail level crashes it back to the desktop as wrath already said. Argh!
Runs ok on old Radeon and GF2/3/4's from what I've seen.

Can't wait for the actual game.

Until then, the V3 release (out soon) of the F1 GTA mod should keep me happy...

MuFu.

------------------
[email protected](11x152MHz)
Kula Masta HHC-00[email protected]
KG7R
Krewtial 512MB
Raydion [email protected]/640MHz
60GXP 60GB
75GXP 30GB
SBLyve! 5.1
PlecksRyta 16/10/40A
Pie-on-ear 16x DVD
LG Phlatron 795FT+
WyndoesXP

[This message has been edited by Mutha Funker (edited 05-05-2002).]

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
I ran it at the default settings the first time I tried it. It looked and ran so badly that I thought it was running in software rendering. The performance is uneven to say the least. The game runs exactly the same at 640x480 as it does at 1600x1200. So I just leave it at 1600x1200x32. Hopefully they do a ton of optimization before the final release...

------------------
Sir, are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

nodnod

nodnod

Dismember
I tried the demo on my pc and it ran pretty good in 1024*768 without AA. Was a little choppy if I used 2*AA. The game was very stable and I did not notice any glitches. That surprises me because I am only using a duron [email protected] and a GF2 Ti. I had the graphics turned all the way over to quality and voices set at 64.

------------------
Duron [email protected]
512mb PC133 RAM Micron
Geforce 2 Ti 275/425
40Gb Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 7200rpm
`\O/
/////////////////////
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
_/ \_

nodnod

nodnod

Dismember
Oh and I must say that I love the way the sun reflects on the road, looks neat.

------------------
Duron [email protected]
512mb PC133 RAM Micron
Geforce 2 Ti 275/425
40Gb Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 7200rpm
`\O/
/////////////////////
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
_/ \_

MuFu

MuFu

Originally posted by nodnod:
Oh and I must say that I love the way the sun reflects on the road, looks neat.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Neeto.

Also realised that changing to 1600x1200 and switching on 2xFSAA doesn't really make any difference...

MuFu.

------------------
[email protected](11x152MHz)
Kula Masta [email protected]
KG7R
Krewtial 512MB
Raydion [email protected]/640MHz
60GXP 60GB
75GXP 30GB
SBLyve! 5.1
PlecksRyta 16/10/40A
Pie-on-ear 16x DVD