Power Supply

A

avalon1

I think I have a bad power supply. How can I check it. I have a tester, but I am not sure how to check leads. Do I check one of the four pin plugs with the leads and which ones do I check? I have a red lead on my tester which is hot and black lead which is ground. I know the red wire on the four pin plug is the hot. Is the black the ground? Is the red 5v or 12v? How about some help.

P

Potluck

What your trying to do will only check the no load voltage and not give you a true picture of the condition of the power supply. If you open the power supply up you will see marked on the printed circuit what the voltages should be. I can't remember exactly what colors are what but you should see +5 -5 +12 -12 (I Think???):confused:

A

avalon1

When I turn power switch on nothing happens everything is completely dead. I tried checking one of the four pin connectors with a tester and got 2.6v dc. I don't know what that means unless it is coming from the motherboard battery? I tried the tester in the main power plug that connects to the board with the tester and I get nothing. I ordered a new power supply from Directron. Will try it when it comes. If still dead then I guess it has to be the board or the cpu.

B

bmartin22

Could be the switch also, you can esily test this out by shorting the two pins that the power switch is plugged into. Thus, by-passing the switch to see if it comes on. You can short these pins with a screwdriver if your comfortable doing that, but that will at least let you know you don't have a bad switch. If you already got a new psu coming wait till then, but you can try this if a new one doesn't fix it.

A

avalon1

Tried shorting the power switch still no power. So now could still be power supply and/or switch.

B

bmartin22

Well, I think you just ruled out a switch problem, so a new power supply installation is the best way to go from here.