Power supplies to avoid/generics

USSVoyager

USSVoyager

Excuse the name
Just to add to the opinion of Antec, I agree that they aren't all bad. In particular, I have an Antec Phantom 350W unit which has been running well for over a year with a very low speed case fan pulling air from other components and supplying that to the area enclosing the PSU. It gets fairly warm (like it should, the case is the heatsink), but it doesn't get burning hot and has never tripped the overheat sensor.

Just thought I'd chip in :)

Oh, and I used to have one of those Q-Tec PSUs. It was crazy how you get 550W for £15, back in 2004. I'm glad I threw it in the bin, after what you guys are saying! :eek:

Shinma

Shinma

Unfortunately,
I think the Antec brand will have to be added to the list.
Last month,
Encountered a NEO model from one of their P150 chassis,
Failed to start up system completely.
Reboot issues.
They supposedly had it fixed in the first quarter of 2006,
Not! :mad:

Same system had no issues with a decent Fortron and even a cheap Thermaltake PSU unit.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
I have a few machines on Antec PSUs still and they work. :)

But I have been switching everything back to Enermax slowly. ;)

Shinma

Shinma

Interesting link.
Was curious as to how, off the mark figures would be for number of those generics...

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Yup, Blowed Up Good!

Great find equinoxe3d, thanks for posting it.

I found it very educational. The overrated and underbuilt units were as expected, as was too much capacity on the +5V and too little on the +12V from old designs. But what was most interesting was the huge ripple in the psu with bad caps. That tells me I should react quickly if I see bulging caps in either a motherboard or psu before the ripple destroys other components.

Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
There's no doubt that Antec is still a lot more reliable than generics. At work, I was replacing a few power supplies per month a few years ago, when they were all generics.

I started introducing Antec chassis with SmartPower PSU's and a mixture of TruePower and SmartPower PSU's to replace busted generics. Now more recently, EarthWatts PSU's come with all the newest systems. We'd easily have at least 70-80 systems now running on Antec power supplies of various sorts and in all that time, I've only had to RMA one that I can recall.

That said, one of my own SmartPower PSU's popped after only a few months of use. I got it RMA'd with no hitch. The other two older Antec systems of mine (one TruePower, one SmartPower) are still running ok though.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
The Antec Smartpowers and TruePowers are made by CWT, Channel Well Technology. The Earthwatts are made by Seasonic.

I wouldn't call CWT a generic. I came across one in an old PII tower and it was made with the same care as the CWT Antecs.

Last edited:
DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Antec's CWT psu's have had reliability problems in recent years, but I'd expect them to have this sorted by now. Still, if I were buying new, I'd be inclined to choose another in this price range, like Fortron.

E

ELF2000

My Antec smartpower has been going for 3 years and still working. Thinking of buying a Antec or Silverstone for next psu.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
I'd be inclined to look for one built by Seasonic. Antec Earthwatts, Corsair VX450W, and many others are actually built by Seasonic. I just read a review on the Corsair mentioned. Silverstones have been well reviewed.

Shinma

Shinma

With the multiple manufacturers providing for Antec at different times and for different models,
I can't be bothered looking for the actual manufacturer anymore. :D

W

wollensak

Another PSU to be avoided - 'Thame Star". When I looked up the UL Listing Numer E203196 I got DEER Computer Company - already listed as one to be avoided!

W

wollensak

Impostors

I took delivery of two DELTA power supplies, thinking they were by Delta Electronics (good). They were labelled Delta Power and while they had the RU and CSA symbols, there were no listing numbers. So two fake power supplies masquerading as the real deal. I returned them and will not patronize that seller again.

G4mingEvolution

G4mingEvolution

PowMax is definately trash. I had over a dozen of those go out.

Antec and Raidmax have always served me well. Never had a single one go out. Though just recently I had an issue with my Asus A7n8x-x board and Antec SL400 400Watt SmartPower unit. (http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/showthread.php?t=180313&page=2) Cant say which is the culprit yet.

I just purchased an Ultra X3 ULT40064 1000Watt unit for a build. I especially love the modular design and protection features. Ive read a lot of positive feedback on the unit so im hoping it works great.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

I "restored" an older Athlon 2100+ computer for my step-sister last year. The system has a 350W Antec SmartPower in it.

Everything went fine until a few weeks ago, when she called me because the system was "making noise", without being more specific. Thinking it was simply a fan grinding, I went there to check and to my surprise, the noise was short chirping beeps and happened when the system was in standby. Then, I remembered that the GPU cooler was hooked to a fan speed control (a generic Fanmate knockoff) with a piezo in it, emitting a loud beep if the fan spins too slow.

Turned out that after a few seconds after entering standby, the system goes zombie and tries to restart, but with the fans slowly spinning and the HDD light blinking. Of course the piezo in the controller went wild, doing short loud beeps. I took it home, and at first it didn't do anything special, then after a few days (building up electricity in the PSU, I guess), it started to do it again. Whipped up the multimeter, measured the 12V rail of a molex connector, and it read close to 5V :confused: When the system was on, everything (voltages and stability) was fine.

Also, when trying the PSU in another system it didn't "zombie-restart" in standby, but the PSU started emitting a faint but clearly audible high-pitched squeal. It squealed ever since, always in standby.

Being an older CWT-based Antec, and remembering a standby squealing PSU from a JonnyGuru article, I was strongly expecting bad caps at this stage. I open it and of course, 3 bulging (but not leaking) Fuhjyyus stare back at me :( That's my first defective Antec ever, not counting a True 380S with a clicking fan that came with my Sonata. Hopefully nothing else is damaged...

I just ordered a 350W Fortron from DirectCanada as a replacement. I have an older fan-swapped FSP in my secondary system running 24/7, no problems at all.

Last edited:

Associates