Power supplies to avoid/generics

Justintime

Justintime

Well seeing another thread here gave me an idea as to a guide as to what psus are well known for being generic/crap, feel free to add to the list :)

Crappy generics that i've come across:

A-Power
AcBel Polytech
Achieve
Aerocool
Allied
Andyson Nuclear 850
Antec HCG-900 (High Current Gamer 900W) OEM: Delta Electronics Inc.
Apevia Turbolink ATX-TL450W-BK
Apevia Warlock Power 900W
Bestec
Chiefmax
Cleverpower
Codegen
Cooler Master *Higher percentage of junk than decent
Cooler Master Elite Power 350 *OEM: Solytech
Cooler Master Elite Power 460 *OEM: FSP
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 400 *OEM: AcBel Polytech
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500 *OEM: AcBel Polytech
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 *OEM: Seventeam
Cooler Master GX 650W OEM: Seventeam Electronics
Cooler Master GX 750
Coolmax
Coolmax V-500
Cougar A-Series 560
Cougar RS 650
Cougar CMX 700
CWT
Deer
Demon
Devanni
Diablotek PHD650 650W
Duro
Dynapower
Dynex DX-400WPS *Bestbuy junk
E-power
Eagle
Enlight
FSP Everest 700w
FSP Everest 900W
FSP Everest 1010w
FSP Raider 750
FuturePower
Hairong
HiPro
Hyena
Hiper Type R 580W
Icute
Inwin
Kingwin
JSP
JustPC
L&C
Leadman
Linkworld
Lion
Logic Concept
Logisys PS350MA
Logisys PS600A12
Macron
MGE
Mustang
Novia
OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro *OEM: Sirtec
OCZ ProXStream 1000 W *FSP
OCZ ZT 650 *Great Wall, possibly quality control issues during manufacturing?
Olympic
Power-Up
Powmax
Q-TEC
Raidmax
Rhycom
Rocketfish RF-700WPS Skyhawk *Bestbuy junk
Seventeam
Super Talent Atomic Juice PS-700
Tagan BZ 1300W
Thame Star
Thermaltake Purepower 500
Thermaltake TR2 RX 750
Topower 1000W Gold
Turbo Links
Ultra
Ultra X4 850
Ultra X4 1050
Viomax
Xigmatek NRP-MC851 OEM: CWT
Xion PowerReal 700W
VisionTek 700W
Xigmatek NRP-MC1002 1000W
Yahoima

PSUs from reputable names that i've seen TOO much failures to be normal:

Antec Truepower :
430W version of this series, tens of failures in the last 2 or so years, not average imo

Antec Smartpower :
No matter wattage, i would immediately change this from any case i get with it. All of mine are dead and alot of my clients have been hurt from it as well, from simply not working to smoking up the place and carrying components with it or simply chirping to death.

Adding Antec NEO to the list of failures.
*Update: As of February 2008, still getting feedbacks of questionable Antec Neo HE 430 - Shinma

Adding Hiper Type R 580W Modular to the list, 4 dead of 6 purchased in client pcs and a few forums have actually had threads with polls asking how many have exploded :D

krupted

krupted

didnt leave much for addition there justin! good idea though, itll be nice to just throw a link out for the dreaded 'what psu' question

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
LOL :D

Justin, I was wondering when you would get around to posting something like this. With the past few psu threads we saw I figured it would be long. :D

Justintime

Justintime

Did some digging on the net, added a few more. Geez theres ALOT of crap out there!

MuFu

MuFu

Wow, that's a scary list of scary bits. Q-Tec are particularly horrifying since they are relatively commonplace and adverise ludicrous specs for the money. Check out the bottom of this page from a Hexus PSU roundup:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=1359&page=25

...a Q-Tec 650W PSU drawing over a kilowatt of power and still falling way short of it's rated output!

krupted

krupted

MuFu said:
...a Q-Tec 650W PSU drawing over a kilowatt of power and still falling way short of it's rated output!
thats outright scary. all of that extra watts dont just sit there, thats straight heat. keep the batteries in the smoke alarms kids...

Justintime

Justintime

MuFu said:
Wow, that's a scary list of scary bits. Q-Tec are particularly horrifying since they are relatively commonplace and adverise ludicrous specs for the money. Check out the bottom of this page from a Hexus PSU roundup:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=1359&page=25

Ha cheap psu but i bet you pay more for it after a month on the electric bill :D Then to replace it :p

MuFu

MuFu

Plus the insurance excess after it starts a house fire.

Incidentally, Rys never did get any feedback from Q-Tec about it. :rolleyes:

drzaius2

drzaius2

Help Computa
enlight good

just to defend enlight, as i noticed it on the list there.

i've been using enlight cases and their power supplies for many years; 300w and 350w and they are very good. they've handled anything i've thrown at them. i do however put in something more powerful if i'm putting in a high powered video card that requires the 6pin PCI-E connector, although i'm sure they could handle all but the extreme cards, like X850XT.

D

dominiccoombe

Are All Antec PSU's bad??

hi Justin,

I was just planning on buying an Antec Truepower TPII-550

Is this a good or bad one.

If its bad can you point me to atleast a good manufacturer. Whatabout Aspire and thermalake.

Thanks

Dominic

Justintime

Justintime

They're not all bad, i'd even say much better than average but its just that i've seen too many dead or dying units for my liking, more than other top tier psu makers. I'd feel safer with PC power and cooling, FSP or an Enermax in my rigs. Thermaltake are 'ok and better than generic", not the best, same for Aspire.

J

jamarno

I would take Enlight off the list. Their supplies used to be made by Enhance, a very good manufacturer, and now they're by Delta, an even better one.

HiPro has long had decent quality.

MGE and Ultra have changed suppliers. Only a few years ago MGE was very bad, but now and Ultra they both get most of their products from Wintech, which produces adequate but not outstanding supplies.

CWT, Channel Well Technology, produces models of widely varying quality, and onliy those with part number suffixes of A/BS (AS or BS), A/BD, A/BSP, or A/BDP should be considered. These are, for all practical purposes, Antec Smartpowers and Truepowers.

The true manufacturer can often be found from the Underwriters Labs registration number, located under the backward "R" followed by the "U" (means Recognized by UL), and looking it up in the UL online certifications directory

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Got it for $89.00 shipped. Running it now and it is very stable, voltages are well within spec to the high side, and it's very cool and quiet. Time will tell about the durability, but it runs very very well.

Berserker

Berserker

My Enermax 350W FMA that was bought in 2003 blew up 2 days ago.
Bought a new Enermax Noise Taker II 420W as a replacement.
Luckily all my hardware are still fine. :)

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
To find out who made that psu, get out our your magnifying glass, no not that one, the big one, and write down the Exxxxxx number on the label. That's a UL manufacturer registration number.
Then go here and type the Exxxxxx number in the File Number box. It will show you the actual manufacturer.

grover

grover

Ex pert
I bought a Rosewill 550W PSU off Newegg in february after my 2nd Antec TruePower died- no problems with it yet. Anyone else have any experience with Rosewill brand PSUs?

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Another member who bought a Rosewill 550W looked up the UL cert #. It was made by Wintech.

Associates