Post your computer sound system specs!

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
lol Marv. I can remember years ago, when I was running my Mission 702e's, you told me that you weren't bothered about all that fancy hi-fi gear.

Glad you changed your mind as I'm very jealous :D

C

chanyote

audiophile
Mega Wattage!

I have been looking through these postings and have wondered what is holding all you back! why settle for factory configured surround sound or even simple 2.1 speaker systems. For example I have custom bould a system that peaks out at 1702 watts. Its not just a pile of power though it is processed by my creative soundblaster audigy platnium pro ex sound card, i have this setup running full surround sound of my pc not some wannabe sterio connection from the computer to the recievers. To get true surround you need to connect to a card that can give you that.

To make it simple:
Connect 1 reciever to your primary audio out on the sound card.
Then connect your other reciever to the surround speaker plug on your sound card.
Finally set your primary reciever to run in dolby digital or equivalant setup.
your other reciever needs to run in sterio or all lines level.

That will give you insaine audio for your computer. Really, this will give you better audio than connecting a dvd player to a reciever.

If you really want high performance (and jave plenty of funding) You can even run a reciever for each connection for 5.1 or 7.1 connection from your sound card. That would result in 6 or 8 recievers. If you used affordable reciever systems like the pioneer htp-2500, you would have a total output of 6000 or 8000 watts! Then to make it even more insaine you can run recievers in pairs per channel... the performance is endless!

In the end you would have a system that is dolby digital, EAX, THX, prologic, certified! Try telling that to your friends

Marvt74

Marvt74

HWC Superpi Champion
agw_01 said:
lol Marv. I can remember years ago, when I was running my Mission 702e's, you told me that you weren't bothered about all that fancy hi-fi gear.

Glad you changed your mind as I'm very jealous :D

I blame that on the fact i used to listen to crap music, i've discovered trance and other forms of groovy musci:D

G

Gary73UK

chanyote said:
I have been looking through these postings and have wondered what is holding all you back! why settle for factory configured surround sound or even simple 2.1 speaker systems. For example I have custom bould a system that peaks out at 1702 watts. Its not just a pile of power though it is processed by my creative soundblaster audigy platnium pro ex sound card, i have this setup running full surround sound of my pc not some wannabe sterio connection from the computer to the recievers. To get true surround you need to connect to a card that can give you that.

To make it simple:
Connect 1 reciever to your primary audio out on the sound card.
Then connect your other reciever to the surround speaker plug on your sound card.
Finally set your primary reciever to run in dolby digital or equivalant setup.
your other reciever needs to run in sterio or all lines level.

That will give you insaine audio for your computer. Really, this will give you better audio than connecting a dvd player to a reciever.

If you really want high performance (and jave plenty of funding) You can even run a reciever for each connection for 5.1 or 7.1 connection from your sound card. That would result in 6 or 8 recievers. If you used affordable reciever systems like the pioneer htp-2500, you would have a total output of 6000 or 8000 watts! Then to make it even more insaine you can run recievers in pairs per channel... the performance is endless!

In the end you would have a system that is dolby digital, EAX, THX, prologic, certified! Try telling that to your friends
Hmm where do i start? oh yes... okay, Creative cards are pretty ****e!

Why on EARTH would you run 3 5.1 receivers from your pc?? doesn't make sense, yes maybe run into good stereo amp's but there's no point. I run my via a coxial cable to get digital sound and let my Rotel do the processing. I think Quad / Rotel / Pioneer (even) / Arcam have a much better idea of how to tune Dolby / DTS signals than crappy creative.

Most 5.1 receivers like the ones you use don't Bridge power amp's so it's still running the same power to the speakers as would be with all the speakers connected.

Oh and mixing amp's is just going to make it all sound so wrong.... Keep it pure and simple!!!

If you really want a good system do something like this:
x1 Receiver connected to x14 monobloc poweramp's 7 for Bass of all 7 speakers + 7 for Mid/Trebble of all 7 speakers (if you had bi-wireable speakers) and a 7.1 setup.

And if you wanted anything CLOSE to decent sound from a PC you need to be looking in the realms of RME (www.rme-audio.com) and the such like, hell even a cheap m-audio card would do it like the Delta's.

Oh and its all dependant on the source, there is no point investing if you are playing MP3 downloaded off Limewire @ 128kbps!!!

I'll stick to my Rotel / B&W setup thanks.

ArnsteinB

ArnsteinB

My sound setup

It is not just kid/teens that are hung up in good (PC)sound...
I'm a 55-model (i.e. 1955)..
In 1973, I was 18 yrs old, my first dream came came through; I bought a Tandberg TR-1000 radio; 250 USD(!), used. This was 34 years ago..and it was my first Hi-Fi-experience. I couldn't me be more proud/satisfied.

In 1999 I wanted a more modern radio and bought a Technichs SA-AX7 radio and a pair of JPW-ML910 speakers. (BTW, an amplifier w/FM-tuner IS still a RADIO, even if "amplifier" sounds better to the young ones...;-)) )
This setup cost me 1.900 USD.... but I was disappointed.... It didn't sound any better than the one I got.
Well, I got 5x100w, surround and lot else...but the SOUND wasn't any better...

My kids got the Tandberg for their PC. My youngest son left the nest last year, and fortunately, he had no interest of the Tandberg (only one channel was OK). I took it to my "radioguru". He replaced both the main capacitors (and a lot of bulbs and others). My TR-1000 was like new, and will work for another 30 years! My guru told me, in his extremely low, mild way, I had to spend 3-5.000 USD to get a better sound. This was due to Tandbergs extremely futuristic advanced electronic design and uncompromising use of components/circuits . The TR-1000 has MOSFET effect-transistors, just like the extreme HI-Fi you buy today...
I have now discovered that this 30-35 year old radio is advertized from 800 USD and upwards...(@finn.no) I wouldn't sell mine for any price...
The moral is; much was better before, but not everything....

BTW, "Huldra" 11/12 is newer than TR-1000/1010(AM), but they use much cheaper components. None of the modells are recommended by Hi-Fi-experts. You get only troubles)

At this specific moment, I'm listening to Chris Reas "The road to hell - concert version".
The guitar solos are nothing less than maginificant. Espesielly on a proper sound system....;-))

Associates