Post your computer sound system specs!

MuFu

MuFu

Yep, still got the same stuff, although I've been on the brink of selling a couple of times to pay for food etc! The HD600s are awesome and certainly live up to their reputation. Fortunately, for now this headphone output is sufficient to drive them to decent levels (they have a 300ohm impedence so I was a little worried about having to invest in a dedicated amp immediately).

MSN, ok. :D

MidnightCarving

MidnightCarving

Troubleshooter
well, its not impressive, but it sounds awesome, and i rigged it all myself.. so i geuss ill show it off a bit

i have a 330 watt Phillips stereo in my room that i added on some sick Aiwa speakers (6 of them to be excact) :D and then wired up a cord from the output on my comp to the Auxillary input in the stereo, turned up the bass on the stereo, fooled with the equalizer in winamp for a while and ended up with the perfect blend of bass and treble.... and while i may have C-Media 5 channel audio:( integrated on my mobo, it still sounds incredible.

G

Gary73UK

ok I have changed my setup slightly.

Same Rotel / B&W / NAD / DENON kit but i have changed my PC for a (please dont hurt me) PowerMAC Dual G5, this thing is a LOT better audio wise, the builtin Optical Out will pump out pure 5.1 and also the optical input supports 5.1 recordings, sounds great, still have my pc as well.

deltree_windows

deltree_windows

Computer Newbie
i changed my stereo interface a bit

at my old house i had my main PC with all the music sitting next to the stereo. the sound card was hooked into the mixer, and the video card sent s-video to the tv as a monitor. i had to keep a mouse and keyboard there which got in the way, and it kept me from being able to use my main rig as a daily computer.

now in my new place, i have the main rig in a different room and can use it normally. hooked up to the stereo i have a networked P2-300 box with a stripped down gentoo install running mpd as the audio daemon. it has a SBLive card hooked into the mixer. the music archive is still on the main rig, but is accessed via a samba mount. phpMp and netjuke are the web interfaces i can control the sound from remotely. no keyboard or mouse, ssh from remote machines handles all the command line prompts.

its a much more convenient setup this way. it just wasnt as easy to get up and running

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Finally got round to setting up a 4.1 system... not had the space for ages.

I'm stayin at my dads for a few months while we move house, and this room is quite a bit bigger than my old room which has allowed me to have my Mission 700's a fair distance away.

I tried them out with Bad Boys 2 (DVD) and UT2004 and couldn't stop smiling with the difference it made having a bit of rear-fill. When I move house, I'm having a garage conversion and will probably have the rear speakers on wall brackets at the back of the room. That should sound much better than it does at the moment.

Anyway, I took some pictures of my current setup.

Audio Equipment

Player's View

One of the Mission 700's

Whole Setup

M

Martin_89

Thats pritty impressive andy! i cant wait to swap rooms with my sister again and get back into the big room and by then i will be working and im going to splash out on a good pioneer amp and mission speakers.

need to get my car sound system done first, now that should be fun!

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Thanks Martin, that's the spirit :D

You know there are better brands then Pioneer and Mission. These cheapo Eltax's I have here sound way better than my old floorstanding Mission 702e's.

If you want serious sound, get something by NAD, Arcam or Rotel along with a sexy, very expensive pair of bookshelf speakers.

As soon as I get job (IF i get a job), I'm going to seriously splash out and fill my garage :)D) with some quality gear... oh how my mum will love me! hehe

M

Martin_89

yea, i just thought because pioneer were top for car sound systems then they would be the same for home cinema.

i think if i can find a way i might have my car sound system running on my computer untill i get the car ready ;)

Last edited:
agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Oh I wasn't saying they were crap. Pioneer do some amazing AV recievers and DVD players!

:eek: I'm sure your mum would love you if you had 2 12" subs playing night and day... you'll just need a 450w PSU to power it all! :D

M

Martin_89

i know, she would love me! yea i know you wernt saying they were crap but i just though that because their really isnt much better than pioneer for car that it would be the same for AV, but i know you were only saying that their is better

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
I've just upgraded... :D

http://members.lycos.co.uk/agw01/bw601/Both speakers with covers off - no flash.jpg

http://members.lycos.co.uk/agw01/bw601/Right speaker close up - no flash.jpg

http://members.lycos.co.uk/agw01/bw601/nexus6/Right Speaker Cover Off.jpg

http://members.lycos.co.uk/agw01/bw601/nexus6/Full View.jpg

Sorry for the large pictures.

Thanks to MuFu for all the advice over the past year, I finally upgraded to pair of B&W 601 speakers and am pleased to say they sound incredible :)

Currently using my Yamaha reciever, I hope to upgrade to a similar NAD amplifier that MuFu was using in his first post in this thread.

Last edited:
SaulTurnedPaul

SaulTurnedPaul

Hiking Member
Sweet!! :D

Nice upgrade, bro. What'd you do with the Eltax fronts? Still got the Mission rears? Anyway, nice setup. ;)

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
lol @ the replies.

I didn't notice the "Open This End" message until after I had opened the box. How stupid did I feel? :D

MuFu, yeah the pictures were just a tad too big weren't they, I've changed them into clickable links now. It did actually look very untidy too. Sorry about that.

SaulTurnedPaul, yup I finally got rid of my Eltax's and Mission's and went for something a bit upmarket. To be totally honest, I don't know how I survived with those Eltax's for so long. They had no real depth to the sound.

I sold them to a friends brother, and then went back to using my Mission's for just over a week. I noticed a much more involving sound when using the Mission's. I went for some speaker demo's almost 2 weeks ago, and heard a few pairs of speakers in the £200-£250 range.

As soon as I heard the B&W's I knew they were for me. I went back the following Thursday (after sending my Mission's off to the new owner) to get them. I picked the stands up last Saturday.

I've gone back to a stereo setup, rather than surround simply because I hardly ever used the surround features of my reciever. I've still got the Yamaha, but only until Christmas when I'm thinking of upgrading to an integrated amp... got my eye on a NAD C352 or something similar. I'm going to keep the Yamaha if I really can, because the optical inputs, and all the other audio/video inputs and outputs are pretty vital to getting signals to and from my computer. I suppose I could get a seperate video switcher, but it's too much hassle when I can just use the reciever.

Sorry, I've not been on much too. I've been pretty busy these last few months. I added you to MSN too if you were wondering who it was. Hope you had a good vacation :). Was going to PM you my address but I haven't had much time to do anything really.

Anyway, back on topic... I'm sure MuFu can back me up if I say the speakers sound nothing short of amazing. I can't wait to change the amp, because they sound damn good on this reciever... I bet they'll totally blow me away on a decent integrated amp. I've not used my sub since I got the speakers either. Mainly because it's best to run the speakers in at all frequencies, but I've also found that these speakers drop lower and have much better quality bass output than my sub. You can find more pics here if you're interested.

I also sold my tape deck and CD player to help fund this speaker purchase. I recently got quite a bit of money from an insurance claim years ago, so I've been paying off all my debts and thought I would also finish off my computer... I've got a 9700 Pro and another 512mb of Corsair (PC3200 this time) on their way to me :)

Anyway, I'll end my post here, as not to hi-jack the thread too much.

Hope to catch you on MSN soon STP.
Thanks for the replies guys :)

MuFu

MuFu

You could try "2 + 2 Stereo" (or whatever the equivalent setting is on your receiver) and bi-amp the 601s. If you do, just remember to take the jumper plate out first!

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Thanks for the tip MuFu.

Yeah there are 2 pairs of stereo outputs on the reciever, and 2 corresponding switches on the front panel.

I'll have to get some more speaker cable if I want to bi-wire (that was what you meant right?) the speakers (or did you mean use the main stereo output and the rear surround output for individual signals to the speakers?).

I'll look into it :)

Thanks.

MuFu

MuFu

I mean use one set of L/R channels to drive the tweeters and one set to drive the woofers.

The thing is, all the amps in your receiver run off the same PSU so you're likely not going see much benefit. Maybe try it if you can borrow some speaker cable.

...or just sit back and enjoy the music, doing nothing for hours and hours. I think that's what I'd do, actually. :D

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Well, I've upgraded my setup today, that will keep me until I can afford that Denon/Mission kit and a good listening room other than my small bedroom :D

- Digifire 7.1 (this has not changed)

- Teac AG-790 stereo receiver, no surround toys or video inputs, just plain nice clean 2-channel sound :).

- Quest QB-6 Bookshelf speakers
(well, more like mid-towers... you nearly don't need a sub with them. Excellent sound for the price)

- Radio Shack Evolution wiring & AWG 14 speaker wire (surprisingly good).

I know it seems bad beside the audiophile setups here, but it sounds way better than what I had before.

Edit: got a shopping spree and changed my old Sony receiver for a brand new Teac one. Made a world of difference. Also got speaker stands (damn those are expensive :eek: )

Last edited:

Associates