Post your computer sound system specs!

O

Omnicent

I might post pics later, anyway you'll notice I like Pioneer.

Pioneer VSX-D511
Front: Pioneer CS-G300W
1" Tweeter
4" Midrange
12" Woofer
They sound awesome, and probably a 20hz-20khz range. Anybody know where I can get some software or something to test that?

Rear: Pioneer S-H152B-K Got'em for $0.99 each on Ebay, I couldn't pass it up.

1" Tweeter
8" Woofer

They sound great and the amount of bass for the size is amazing, but the range is a bit shallow.

Center: Pioneer S-H052C-K

Two 3.5" Drivers

Also sounds great, wonderful quality but a shallow range.

It seems that Pioneers quality has decreased over the years.
If I had to upgrade I would go with a THX Yamaha or Denon reciever, and wider ranged rear and center speakers and an Audigy 2. Oh yea, and add a subwoofer, a 12" JBL.

Viper222

Viper222

Nissan Driven
You guys have some serious audio equipment!

My current setup is:

- TB Santa Cruz
- Yamaha YST-MS30 3-piece speakers @ 30W RMS

It's upgrade time again!

The best sounding system I have is the system in my car.

U

Ultim8_Evil

Originally posted by Martin_89
i cant beleve the sound difference between 2.1 and 4.1 speakers. ive got the rear speakers ontop of the monitor and the front ones at the sides and the sub on a shelf under the desk. they only cost me £34 OEM there £50 on creatives site
hehe, i know what you mean. the difference between 2.1 and 4.1 is massive! I couldn't believe how good my new speaker setup was for the money it cost me. left me wondering why anyone has stereo at all!

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151531

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Well, the difference in sound quality, especially for music when comparing a 4.1/5.1 setup to a stereo setup is normally huge.

I currently have a Yamaha receiver, and although it does sound pretty good (by my standards anyway, lol) for music, if I went out and bought a stereo amp at around the same price as the receiever, then music would sound a whole lot better.

Of course, if you mainly use your equipment for watching movies or playing games then a surround setup is the way to go.

I'm moving house next year, so will have a much bigger room, so I've decided that I'm gonna get a new stereo amp and front speakers for music, and use my Yamaha for the centre and rear channels. :cool:

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Yeah, that is down to spatial effects.

These are computer speakers, where they are designed for both music and movies/games. I should have been more clear that I was talking about hi-fi equipment. Sorry.

Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing

Mild Mannered Superhero
My sound specs (better late than never):

Creative SB Audigy2
Creative Inspire 5300

That's what I have now, but I am planning to get these Logitech 5300 speakers in the near future.

G

Gary73UK

Abit NF7-S Motherboard with Nvidia Nforce2 Soundcard

Rotel RSP-1066 Processor
Rotel RMB-1075 5 Channel 120watt Power Amp

B&W DM602 S3 Front Speakers
B&W DM601 S3 Rear Speakers
B&W LCR600 Centre Speaker
B&W ASW650 Sub Woofer

QED Silver Aniversary Bi-Wire Cable to all speakers

Chord Chamelion (Front/Centre) from Pre-Amp to Power
Chord Cobra 2 (Surround) from Pre-Amp to Power
Supra X-ZAC Optical 1m Optical Digital Cable (PC to Pre Amp)

QED Subwooer Interconnect from Pre to Sub

I Also have a NAD C541i CD Player (With Chord Chamelion Analog Interconnects) & a Denon DVD2900 DVD Player (With QED P75 Electrical Digital Interconnect) + SKY+ with a Monster Optical Interconnect

you can see it all on www.bowers1.com (click on contents hifi)

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Well, my setup just keeps getting shat on doesn't it :D

Nah seriously, it's great to see more and more people with decent setups these days!

I see you stole my CD player... I've wanted one of those NAD C541i's for quite a while now :p

G

Gary73UK

hee naa people only have what they can have...

Loads of people tell me to swap this for that, but the current configuration i love the sound and that's all that matters to me..

The NAD CD Player is brilliant..... it has NO features though like some cd players have, e.g. CD Text, and all that jazz,

but what it lacks in features it more than makes up for in sound quality.... its amazing sounding for the price and even does HDCD, i dont use this because i dont like connecting the cd player up digitally...

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
TBH, I actually like the sound of my system. People say that receivers sound crap for music, which yeah they may do... but for me, it sounds great especially if I move it all into a big room.

I've only heard one Rotel system, and that must have been a good 10 years old, and that impressed the hell outta me! I'm thinking that your power amp must sound pretty damn good, so yeah... ignore what all the other people say (they probably will just want to buy it off you anyway, lol)

So, do you use the SoundStorm output as the pre-amp or do you have a seperate pre-amp? Or am I missing something here and the processor is the pre-amp :confused:

With a lot of advice from MuFu, I'm in the process of moving from a multichannel setup, back to a stereo setup (for music anyway). I have absolutely no money spare at the moment, and it's killing me everytime I walk into a hi-fi shop and see all the nice stuff stacked up on racks etc :(

G

Gary73UK

agw_01 tell me about it :)

no the soundstorm goes to the Rotel RSP-1066 which is the pre-amp / processor then just feeds the power amp. MY sources all plug into the Rotel 1066, basically the pc acts just as a source.

Multichannel i find doesn't sound as good as a stereo solution, basically down to the sheer number of processes the sound has to go through, even stereo has to be processed through the onboard cpu. stereo amps usually just have 2 paths, input --> Pre (volume / trebble / bass) --> Power --> Speakers. The rotel i find does a pretty damn good job.

I am also after a Roksan Kandy MKIII stereo amp for use on purely stereo.

the only thing i miss with 2 channel stereo is the lack of sub.. once you are spoiled with a sub its hard going back to pure 2 channel...

btw, i love the mission speakers you have, my dad used to have a pair but a badly mixxed Pink Floyd CD Blew the tweaters.

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
What, the 702e's?

I think they must have some pretty crap tweeters in them, because I unplugged them so that I could use my 700's (sound much better in my small bedroom). When I plugged them back in, one of the tweeters just didn't work. Thankfully, they are still under warranty and have gone in for repairs.

Regarding the RSP-1066, I didn't know it was a pre-amp, I just thought it was a multichannel processor (shows how much I know :rolleyes: hehe)

I've also noticed that if I have my receiver decoding a multichannel source (say from my sister's DVD player) into the 4.1 setup I have, there is a slight degrading of the overall quality then if I just have the receiver running in stereo mode.

Do you have your sub wired via high level or low level inputs? I use the low level output from my receiver.

Look at me using all these technical terms... a year ago, I wouldn't have known what most of them meant :D

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
My setup has changed slightly...

I now have these Eltax Silverstone 200's in Beech

aswell as decent Ixos and ProfiGold interconnects.

Next upgrade... new amp!

D

dzx

Interesting sound setups...

My own..

Old Optimus reciever hooked to SBLive with couple of FX95 speakers.. good sound.. might change sounmdcard sometime tho.

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Originally posted by dzx
Old Optimus reciever
If memory serves me correctly, that's a Tandy Corporation brand right?

My dad used to be manager of 2 Tandy stores back in the 80's and he put some kick-ass (at the time) hi-fi gear in storage until it all went discontinued :D

He got a complete seperates hi-fi system, all Realistic gear. Most of it has sadly died, but he did have a beast of a Realistic receiver a few years ago.

His remaining kit is some Realistic Optimus 400's, with 12" woofers, a Realistic SCT-80 Tape Deck and a Realistic (don't know the model number) turntable. It's all reasonably good stuff, sadly the rest of it died.

Oh, sorry to ramble on a bit... :(

grover

grover

Ex pert
I've been using my old AIWA stereo as my PC speakers ever since I got my first ISA Soundblaster 16 in 1995! But the poor girl is showing her age... Plus, I'd robbed the good AIWA speakers to use as surround speakers for my home theater and substituted cheap boom box speakers roundabout 1999 or so, which never sounded all that great... and my present SB PCI 128 supports dolby 5.1x, as does the onboard sound on the new mobo I'm ordering... so....

4 days ago, I splurged with a Best Buy gift certificate and grabbed myself a Logitech 640 surround-sound setup! Man it sounds nice :D especially considering how inexpensive it was! Gaming will never be the same, heh heh

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Wow, not spoken to you in ages MuFu!

Still got the same NAD/B+W setup? I'm still running my Yammy/Eltax (eugh) until next year.

Nice pair of headphones you've got on your list. Think I'll have to get a nice pair soon. I'll catch you on MSN soon, if you're not busy.

Associates