Post your computer sound system specs!

O

outside looking in

Bah. Erm... Eh? Bleh!
Well, my computer that I actually use for a computer uses an M-audio Delta Dio 2496 connected to a pair of active Yorkville YSM1p studio monitors. Pretty decent sound for a computer, and I use this setup to do my mixing work on. I also have an SBLive 5.1 and Klipsch ProMedia setup on my server, which I can switch to via KVM if I want a change of pace.

I'm not sure if this is really fair... but since I do use a PC as one of my headunits for my home audio system, I guess I'll list that too:

DVD: Denon DVD-2000 and Sony DVP-S300 single disc players

CD: PC - Via C3, M-audio Delta Dio 2496, support for dual monitors, TV-out, DVI, wireless keyboard/mousepad/RF remote, networked to server for easy uploads, custom case, no fans. All audio files uncompressed. I promise, one day I'll borrow a digital camera and take a picture.

AM/FM: Rotel RT-940AX

Satellite: Sony SAT-A4

Analog pre: Rotel RSP-960AX

Digital pre: Marantz DP870

Power: Rotel RLC-900 Line conditioner, 3 Rotel RB-981 Stereo amps

Speakers: Magnepan front, rear, and center (I love the center, I'm going to marry it), Velodyne FSR-10 sub

TV: tolerable Sony 50" rear projection. I've got my eye on DLP based projectors, but I'm still waiting for the price to drop just a bit further.

MuFu

MuFu

Hehe, nice. I love the way that a crappy VIA C3 is fundamental to that lot. :D

Are the toons just stored as PCM? I don't really have the storage for uncompressed audio (have about 3500 mp3's as it is right now - most of them are my own CD rips) and don't have the space for 300 or so CDs. They are currently ~200kbps LAME VBR encoded and sound pretty good by most standards, but encoding using Monkey APE (lossless) is quick and does sound noticeably better. It's also free, unlike Perfect Clarity Audio or some other alternatives. I might re-do the whole lot one day, possibly upsampling to 88.2kHz beforehand - many people report a perceived improvement in quality doing this (better HF detailing etc etc), although I'll remain sceptical until I try it.

Do you have any DVD-A's? Bought my first one the other day - a double-sided (surround/stereo), 24/192kHz version of Billy Cobham's "Spectrum". I have the orginal re-master on CD and the DVD-A does sound appreciably better in all the ways it claims to do - much better HF detailing & clarity, tighter bass (really noticeable now I am back in this ultra-bloomy uni room) and subsequently, improved imaging. The surround mix is ok, but I prefer the 2 channel version.

I was just wondering whether this is mostly a consequence of different post-production tweaks compared to the CD or the inherent superiority of DVD Audio. I'm not saying it's a bad thing that DVD-A's probably get more attention at the mastering stage, but it obviously comes at a price premium. I guess I need to get some more modern recordings to listen to, it's just that the selection right now it really crappy and they are still damn expensive. :(

MuFu.

Weeboll

Weeboll

NO MONEY NO SKI
is spectrum the only dvd-a, i'd love to here a funky kind of thing in 5.1 surround..

MuFu

MuFu

Yeah, it seems to be. I haven't really been find much of anything I like in DVD-A on this side of the Atlantic. :-/

Got Funky Thide Of Sings too - that ain't bad. Sounds a bit too much like the soundtrack for a 70's blaxploitation flick for my liking though and the turbo-speed version of "Skunk Funk" is "interesting" to say the least. :D

Wow, this thread has suddenly gone off on a rather cultural tangent. :cool:

MuFu.

O

outside looking in

Bah. Erm... Eh? Bleh!
Yes, right now I'm just storing the PCM data as .wav files. I tried Monkey's Audio, and I like it, but the C3 doesn't seem fast enough to do the encoding and decoding at acceptable rates. It takes about three times longer to encode a CD than it does to rip it using EAC, and during playback of straight Monkey's Audio files I got occasional pops, which I attributed to hiccups in decoding speed for real-time playback.

I don't have any MP3's on the sytem at the moment, and have no immediate plans for it. I have 120 GB storage space on the audio player (good for around 200 CD's), and another couple of hundred GB's on the server, which is connected by network should I ever need to start uploading albums from a remote location.

No DVD-A's at the moment. I'm playing the waiting game on that like I have been on HDTV, waiting for the all the DVD-A and SACD stuff to settle out before making any decisions.

MuFu

MuFu

Ahh... to ease your pain, think of the whole of the UK waiting for HDTV to even touchdown. :rolleyes:

MuFu.

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Ive always had hi-fi equipment on my computer. But my first system was worse than budget £3 speakers... TEAC Reciever and some 30w AIWA speakers.

Now I have...
post updated with new images
Yamaha DSP-AX620 Amplifier

Beech Mission 702e Speakers as front

Black Mission 700 Speakers as rears

Eltax Sub 10 Sub-Woofer

Last edited:
equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

agw , your host account asks us a username/password to see your amp, could you please post it? :D

Seriously, it seems your hostage doesn't support linking pictures or something, I used to get the password thing with I-drive :mad:

I'd suggest to use Homestead or another good free web host that allows linking to pictures :)

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Yeah, Ive just seen that. I was just using the pictures from other websites. I will sort it out after. :)

Sorry

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Sorted, and ive tried them on a different computer so they should work :)

edit.......Ive got the feeling nobody likes me :(

Last edited:
Marvt74

Marvt74

HWC Superpi Champion
it works now dont worry :)

i like you or at least till i get that AT case and your loverly heatsink :D

D

dfgsd

i have an epox 8dra+ nforce 2 sound soon getting the optical adapter. i like the nforce sound with the dolby digital encoding it worked excellent with my abit n7v133r.

reciever Yamaha rxv 800

a decent reciever for my price range.

speakers

front klipsch rf-3

i like these quite a bit. they are amazingly efficent and sound pretty decent to me.

center klipsch rc-3

a pretty big center speaker.

rears klipsch rs-3

these are pretty cool surrounds..but a bit big.

it pretty much took me a whole summer of not working all that hard to get this stuff :(

Last edited:
Marvt74

Marvt74

HWC Superpi Champion
man looking at all these systems makes me want to sell a kidney and whatever bodily part i dont need.

MuFu

MuFu

Ah, I need a mitral heart valve that doesn't prolapse and some extra-cardionervous tissue. Do you have anything to offer along those lines?

Swap ya a Leadtek Ti4400. :D

MuFu.

Marvt74

Marvt74

HWC Superpi Champion
nah my graphics are good its my sound which sucks
tell you what have my kidney and 2 legs
and i have your speakers and c370 amp

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
deltree_windows... :eek: love that amplifier.

you did prank calls? do you still do them coz i would love to hear some of em. lolol... the smurfs :D

dfgsd... what do you think to the yamaha amps? mine is pretty sweet. those speakers are nice :)

Marvt74... ive got an old TEAC reciever here. gimme your new AMG case and you can have it. 25 wp/ch, not bad sound... what ya say? :D

MuFu... if you hadn't sold ur GF4 already, I would have traded you an arm and a leg for it! lol

Associates