Post your computer sound system specs!

MuFu

MuFu

Right guys, we are going to get this forum going. :D

I have quite a modest (and compact) setup by audiophile standards, but it is otherwise somewhat overkill for a PC sound system because being at uni, I use the PC for everything - music, TV, DVDs, work etc and the sound is very important to me. I reckon I listen to about 8 hours of music a day and also play drums & piano. Before all this I had a cheap Cambridge Soundworks Sub/Sat set and a separate AIWA hifi.

Sources: PC (Audigy 2), Sony MD deck or an AIWA car stereo wired to the computer PSU (can't afford a tuner right now, lol)

Speakers: B&W 601 s3 fronts
B&W 600 s3 rears

REL Q100E subwoofer

Amplification: NAD c350 & c370 integrated amps

Interconnects: Mixture of midrange QED and Ixos.

Usually this is hooked up to the PC I am on right now but for the odd DVD release I connect it all up to the HTPC/server in our living room. I don't own a TV (never have) and it's nice to get things up on a larger screen sometimes.

(Planked floor, ack!!!)

Really puts a smile on my face... God bless student loans and classified ads. :D

MuFu.

phenix

phenix

MU****FU**ER that's one nice setup.

Soundblaster live! A pair of JBL Audio 30watt speakers($100) + one pair of 30watt fishers($6 from a garage sale)spliced into the jbl amp. Sad but but effective and the sound quality is actually better then you might imagine.

C

cosmjd

Oh to be a student again and have free money!! :)

Didn't realise you had actually got the audigy2. What's the sound like with THX films? I have been tempted but the laptop ate my money, even though I saved £720 :)

cosmjd

A

Arris

Currently Hercules Fortissimo II with Sony headphones.
Have a stereo out linked to my JVC Adagio S4 hifi so I can use that if I want, 3 way speakers. Can't remember the hifi's power output but its damn loud! Also have Sony Dolby surround system that I plan on feeding the digital out from the Fortissimo II into once I get round to moving house.

Nice of Sony to notify us that the image isn't to scale ;)

Last edited:
phenix

phenix

I never should have opened this thread in the first place. All i need is to want more hardware...

Marvt74

Marvt74

HWC Superpi Champion
and up comes marv to blow you all away

wait for itt
sound blaster 16 :D (generic one i got at a car boot for £2)
and contec 50W speakers that my mum got with her mesh about 8 years ago :D

go on try and beat it

Last edited:
deltree_windows

deltree_windows

Computer Newbie
guess im due for an appearance here...

Samson MPL1204 12 channel, 4 bus mixer

Behringer Virtualizer pro digital effects unit 24-bit stereo

Samson Servo 550 power amp, 275Wrms/channel @ 8ohms

Technics SA-400 400W stereo receiver
<no pic>

ADC Sound Shaper 110 10-band stereo EQ
<no pic>

4-way homemade speaker box pair
10" Eminence low woofer, 10" Pyramid mid woofer, 6" MCM midrange, motorola horn tweeter, 300W RMS @ 8ohms, 10"x15"x32"

3-way homemade speaker box pair
12" MCM woofer, 8" Pyle midrange, motorola horn tweeter, 500W RMS @ 8ohms, 16"x17"x32"

Mitsubishi 50" rear projection TV
(different model)

if i had a digital camera or if my scanner worked in Win2k, id get some pictures of the setup posted. it's all still run on a duron650/sblive value/AIW pro 128/samsung 5x DVD. weakest part of the system. had the audio setup since 1998, at times it included another pair of the giant 3-way speakers, another 550W amp, additional 8-track mixer, and a 32-band EQ. i had plans for a concrete subwoofer, but never built it. i wasnt sure if the concrete enclosure would crack from vibrating against the floor by the dual 15" 1200W subwoofer cones i found.

Last edited:
MuFu

MuFu

Cool - love the TV. Watching DVDs on a 17" monitor really sucks. :(

What do you use this stuff for? The mixer and effects module are slightly at odds with the home theatre gear, if you don't mind me saying so. I presume it's for some sort of music tech work or do you just like knob-twiddling? :D ;)

If you could get pics that'd be awesome. Building speakers sure has a certain appeal; expense, to name but one! My dad and I have built a few in the past and currently have two such 300W Celestion 10"/Horn-based sealed units hanging off the walls in the study. He dabbles with Reason/Cubase quite a bit and since we're all musicians in our slightly-odd family it's fun to mess about with that kind of stuff occasionally. Unfortunately I had to leave the drumkit, keyboards etc at home when I went to uni. :(

cosmjd - the Audigy 2 has exceeded my expectations. I was originally going to hold out for M-Audio's big "consumer offering" that has been greatly hyped in the past few months (recently launched as the Revolution 7.1) so going for the A2 was settling for second best, in a way. The idea was to get the I/O performance of the more expensive Delta 410/1010 cards combined with the game support of a consumer-level card such as the Audigy. Turns out that the Audigy 2's output quality is more than sufficient for my needs. I've had absolutely no problems regarding software etc either.

When it comes to DVD playback the audio processing is more of an issue for the player software than anything else. It's primarily the filters used by PowerDVD, WinDVD etc that govern the quality of the processing. In this respect I'm pretty sure an A2-equppied HTPC is as capable as any A/V receiver <$1000, apart from when it comes to extended functionality and elegance, of course.

MuFu.

P.S. Marvt74 - you got me man, that setup ROCKS.

deltree_windows

deltree_windows

Computer Newbie
i needed a stereo system when my roommate dropped out of college, but i also wanted a nice stage setup in case i ever became a rock star. 2 birds, 1 stone.

i used to be in a band with a guy who had crazy pro mixing/recording setups that sounded extremely impressive. he worked at a large music store and before he quit, he made a point of selling as much equipment as possible at wholesale. i took the opportunity to put a decent audio system like this together. an uncle got me into building speakers so i built the smaller pair for $100, then 4 of the the larger ones for $75 each. sold 2 of the larger ones.

initially it was just for music, but since i had so many channels in the mixer (and lived in one room) i used it to mix front/rear stereo sound for my k6-2 450, 24-disk CD player, 19" TV, VCR, and telephone. yes i rigged a telephone so i could use the effects unit to prank call people as the Smurfs, then call back as Gargamel looking for the Smurfs. oh and i also hooked it up to some obnoxious christmas lights that blinked to 8-bit electronic christmas carols once. not too many people were fond of that.

the computer got upgraded to the duron650 for video recording and DVD playback. my little TV broke and i replaced it with the 50" because i couldnt see a point to use anything less

the electronics including the computer are in rackmount travel cases so i can pack it up and move easily. did 3 gigs as a DJ but didnt like it very much.

the nice part is that the mixer is so complicated, nobody can turn the volume down if im playing something they don't like, which is most of the time. its also great running winamp visualizations on the big TV

hastx

hastx

speaks: Roland RSM-90 monitors powered by KLH 100w amp

Soundcards: Fortissimo 3 (for general listening) & Roland pci r bus interface for si-24 mixer recording/editing.

Weeboll

Weeboll

NO MONEY NO SKI
nother heads up for NAD amps, I love my C320 :D

speakers- Acoustic Energy ageis one's

soundcard- Turtle Beach something

so glad my old awia packed up !

MuFu

MuFu

Originally posted by Weeboll
nother heads up for NAD amps, I love my C320 :D
Yeah, they sound pretty sweet, don't they? I was going for a stack of three at one time but now that it looks like I'll be stuck in a uni dorm next year I've had to let one (the c370) go.

I'm also actually selling the REL sub and the larger of B&W speakers now too, doh.

Anybody interested? UK only. :D

MuFu.

Chegs

Chegs

Hey Mufu
I'll give you £1 for the B&W speakers! Yes £1. Think they would be sweet for when I go to uni next year. Don't know if my Hifi would take it though it say on the back surround sound speakers only. This mean they only want me to use the speakers that came with it?

R

Rockymaru

Looks like the guys w/ the pictures here kill most everyone else who does not post a pic :)

I have a 4.1 set-up. Small Creative Inspire speakers. GORGEOUS sound, esp from speakers only about 4"x4"x4". Previously had it set up w/ my ol' SoundBlaster Live! Value card. It sounds freakin' AWESOME watching LOTR:FOTR Extended DVD, The Matrix, Jurassic Park, Gladiator, and...aah!! any DVD using WinDVD lol!
Seriously, I KNOW it sounds better than my friend's 4.1 hooked up w/ his PS2, Box, and Cube! No BS.

I love the LITTLE touches. Like hearing a bullet being fired from BEHIND (rear speakers), then whizzing around around ALL speakers, during the Neo Dodging the Bullets scene. Or the cave troll/monster in FOTR swirling the rock around his chain and hearing it go around on all 4 channels, one-by-one.

A damn steal at $50 I say!

MuFu

MuFu

Yeah, I know the ones you mean - I recently bought a 2.1 set for my mum and they're excellent.

Chegs - £1 is fine mate. Of course, you'll have to pay £199 "Chegs-is-a-cheeky-twat Tax" to make it an even £200. :D ;)

MuFu.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Originally posted by Rockymaru
Looks like the guys w/ the pictures here kill most everyone else who does not post a pic :)
Well, not anymore :D

Guillemot/Hercules MaxiSound Fortissimo:

Labtec Pulse-424 2.1 system:

Associates